mountaindew88

mountaindew88's Profile Comments

fatgoogle wrote on Jan 23rd, 2009 7:01pm

I dont know, im just looking to have a really good five string by the summer, as after that ill have to start saving for college. Ive been looking at A MM stingray HH or a streamer lx\ jazzman.

fatgoogle wrote on Jan 23rd, 2009 4:35pm

Beautiful it is, i hear they have neck dive though, that stubby horn. Ive been told ill like fortress's cause they have thinner necks.

fatgoogle wrote on Jan 20th, 2009 7:17pm

Oooh tell us, im also going the pre\power setup, as my mined changed as what amp i wanted over a week. Been looking for a Ampeg pro, or similiar.

Thumbs up on the EDEN.

thefitz wrote on Jan 20th, 2009 6:21am

I like to play the game "see if you can find it on the internet", and your thumb just so happened to be the item in question.

thefitz wrote on Jan 20th, 2009 5:28am

I went on your profile to see if you had a pic of your thumb (not the bass, the appendage) and noticed a comment that I guess I misunderstood. It was from yesterday (as in the day half an hour ago) and thought you'd done it!

thefitz wrote on Jan 20th, 2009 5:23am

Awww, and I was gettin' all killy.

thefitz wrote on Jan 20th, 2009 5:18am

So you got the Hexavalve AND the Thumb? Christ man!

AND you reported it to TALKBASS and not to moi!?

FIRED

fatgoogle wrote on Jan 19th, 2009 4:36pm

So you got the Hexavalve, couldnt help reading your thread on TB.

thefitz wrote on Dec 21st, 2008 8:49am

Spent a LOT of time today with a used Streamer Stage II at half price off of new and can say I'm officially over the tight Warwick string spacing. I placed my thumb in front of the pickup instead of on it, and everything was perfect.

It's a top-of-the-line workhorse. Pickups have been replaced with Basslines, and a JAN I was added. I think the first owner replaced the preamp with a two-band - I don't think the mid knob did anything. But then again, I was playing out of the worst bass amp ever.

We'll see how the summer goes, financially.

thefitz wrote on Dec 13th, 2008 1:19am

I don't want two tweeters, and I'm too freugal to simply turn off a tweeter - if I'm spending money on a cabinet, I want to use EVERYTHING, not just parts of it. I'd rather save the money then spend it on something that I'm disabling.

Plus, I want that fundamental of my Low B pushing air, period. And the Big Ben can do that. There are only a few games in the 18 business - Carvin, which is neo and not what I'm looking for, Hartke which is 4 ohms and MASSIVE, Eden, which is shaped funny, and the SWR. And matching the drapes to the carpet doesn't hurt either.

thefitz wrote on Dec 11th, 2008 6:58am

Yeah, there was one dude wanting $700 or his and he lived far away - for that price I could just buy it 2 blocks away new for $50 more.

But yeah, those Streamers are really nice. IMO they're very gentle and pretty sounding.

thefitz wrote on Dec 11th, 2008 3:49am

Now that I realized all I need is a normal Speakon cable to run my amp mono-bridge, which I already have, I'm just JONESING to sell my cabs and get an 8-ohm Mesa Powerhouse 212 with it's adjustable horn crossover and volume. It's... exactly what I want. Then a Big Ben or something for when I need a sub cab. Maybe an Eden 118.

But who the hell will want my low-end Peavey and Nemesis 212?

thefitz wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 6:20am

I quite like what the 2-band does, really. It's not as hi-fi as my Jazz, but it's a really portly sound that fills out well. It gives a very different, rounder flavour to my sound. Diesel and The Bluze were on my Warwick, Else and That Girl were on my Jazz - note the difference!

thefitz wrote on Nov 29th, 2008 7:13am

I played 2 5-string Warwicks the other day - Streamer Stage II and Warwick BO. The Streamer's string spacing and pickup layout just wasn't for me, it really wasn't. Both pickups sounded like bridge pickups. Not my thing.

I played the Thumb, and while pretending to have a neck pickup, I actually found the string spacing doable - if not quite nice! The tone wasn't "my tone" since both pickups are at the bridge, but the "neck" pickup soloed was a very nice, clear, pretty sound. I quite liked it... if I was doing sessions, I'd definitely play that one.

If you're ever looking to unload that Thumb 5er, toss me a line.

Miss G wrote on Nov 23rd, 2008 12:16pm

mountaindew88 wrote on Nov 22nd, 2008 at 3:19pm :

DR Long Necks on the Warwicks, DR Lo-Riders on the Stingray and Jazz. I used to be a diehard D'Addario fan until I got into Warwicks, which require taperwound strings. I liked the DR's so much better than the D'Addarios that I put them on all my basses They sound better and they last a LOT longer.

Nice, I love DRs. I have all mine strung with them. Lo Riders on the Sterling and Jazz and Hi Beams on the Ps.

Miss G wrote on Nov 22nd, 2008 8:43pm

I'm just curious, what type of strings are your basses strung with?

thefitz wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 5:08pm

I gotcha. I was just thinking, if you're after another front end sound (something more modern maybe), just add a preamp to the rack, connect the output to the effects loop return, and get a channel switcher stompbox. Put that at the end of the pedal chain, and plug one side into your head, and the other side into the preamp. That way you can go from grunty to sheen etc to your heart's content. But then again, I'm so confident in the size, clarity, cutting-ness, and punch of my tone that I refuse to believe I'll need another sound. The way I have my EQ setup it's simply impossible to bury me in the mix. It's wonderful. And it's interesting, I'm slightly changing it all the time - and recently found a new magic frequency.

thefitz wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 2:52pm

I was thinking.

Oh, yeah, right, the rest of the comment. I know this is a whole million years ago, but you were deciding between an Ampeg SVT2PRO and your Mesa... I know you had one and sold it, but I was thinking why not add an Ampeg SVP into your rack at the end of your effects loop, and add an AB/Y switch (or the other way round?) at the end of your pedalboad to switch between the two sounds on the fly?

thefitz wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 8:14pm

Trading a vintage (depending on how you define it) Stingray for a... guitar? Come on man. Trade your lesser bass for a lesser instrument. Trade your Jazz for some sort of Highway One or something. But then again, if you've sold your soul to Warwick, which it appears you have...

thefitz wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 3:32pm

It's been a month and it seems like you have all of the same gear. What's wrong with you?

read previous 1 2 3 4 5 read next