descara

descara's Profile Comments

Xiaoxi wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 11:27pm

descara wrote on Oct 21st, 2012 at 7:10am :
Hey, I just wanted to ask you if you've got any experience with the VSL special editions? They're for once running a student discount so I was thinking of buying SE volume one (the one with all common instruments, basic articulations). Is it well worth its money?

this is the one in question: http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/261/2064/2067/1751.htm
Yes!! I recommend VSL Special Editions all the time to people looking for a great entry-level library. It's awesome, comprehensive, and very flexible.

aig91 wrote on Aug 26th, 2012 7:03am

descara wrote on Jul 8th, 2012 at 11:14am :
Thank you for your kind words! I recall nearly replying to this comment sometime, but I clearly forgot. :P
If you want, you can check out my Newgrounds page - it's where I usually post music nowadays, and the stuff on there is a bit more high-quality: http://descara.newgrounds.com/audio/
I must have forgotten to reply to this. Thank you for the link! I really did enjoy the music a lot! :)

jazz_rock_feel wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 12:38am

descara wrote on Jul 11th, 2012 at 5:09pm :
Not much of a UG-goer nowadays (like I ever was) but I just had to say your sig almost made me spit my tea out.

Haha, nice. Glad to please at Xiaoxi's expense.

aig91 wrote on May 20th, 2012 7:15am

I really enjoyed listening to your wonderful music!

Kensai wrote on Jun 12th, 2011 10:48pm

descara wrote on Jun 12th, 2011 at 12:25pm :
Neat! Sätter igång och meckar ihop det. Kan ta ett tag känns det som, vissa har bara uppladdat otaggade .wav's : Ska jag posta i originaltråden eller starta en "31 day 1 song May challenge - compilation"-tråd el. dylikt tycker du?

Det är ett riktigt pilljobb ibland, riktigt schysst att du gör det. Posta gärna i originaltråden och sen kan du starta en ny tråd med det namnet du föreslog, blir perfa!

madbasslover wrote on Jun 12th, 2011 4:03pm

So, I downloaded the May challenge album and then logged off. I listened up to your track and have now gone to all the trouble of re-opening my browser and logging back in just to tell you that your track is brilliant. Captured the mood it was going for perfectly, especially at the end.

Kensai wrote on Jun 12th, 2011 11:03am

descara wrote on Jun 3rd, 2011 at 6:10pm :
Hey, I posted in the 31-day challenge thread but thought I might drop by here too. Just wanted to say if you don't feel like organising all submissions I'd be happy to help out! Only thing I'd need is any submissions sent to you via PM, obviously.

... och nu inser jag att det är nästan som i helgen när jag satt och pratade med en kille som kom upp med några schweizare i en timme eller så innan vi insåg att vi båda pratade svenska. Nåja!

If you're still up for it, sure! I haven't gotten any PMs for some reason so it's all in the thread.

Haha, gjort samma sak många gånger, särskilt på universitetet.

Xiaoxi wrote on May 19th, 2011 5:58am

Hey sorry for the delay on your questions but here they are:

sul pont/tasto to norm: can be switched fairly quickly, but usually we'd switch at a down bow where we can readjust the position. It can be done like the way you're talking about but it'd feel a bit awkward and less controlled. In the tempo you have either way is feasible.

Regarding the harmony, it's not that a few of the choices were boring. Rather, they are unconvincing due to inconsistent voice leading. m.15-16, a few unprepared ic1 dissonances between vln2, vla, and vlc. m.34-36, the voicings of the harmonies aren't very smooth or convincing, starting with the D-7b5 in m. 35. The direct modulation right after this is also almost too out of place. There are a few other places with similar problems but you get the idea.

Sóknardalr wrote on May 14th, 2011 5:25pm

The Moor was great; good job! I'm also enjoying the first movement of "Nocturne no. 1".

Xiaoxi wrote on May 7th, 2011 4:29am

(continued)
I'd also like to hear a more functionality within the quartet. The first violin seems to be carrying a foreground melody the entire time, but the way you have this set up texturally could have so much more contrapuntal possibilities, which can be extremely effective in a slow piece. You should also learn more about timbral possibilities of the string instruments (eg, playing sul G on violin, etc). That kind of consideration can have a huge impact on the tone of your piece, even with the same notes!

Xiaoxi wrote on May 7th, 2011 4:28am

It's a very good piece. Orchestration wise it's all very feasible and effective. However, this feels more like something that would be appropriate as a film score than a concert composition. I get that you are trying to create an atmosphere but there should also be focus on motivic development. There are some moments in here that could be thematic, or cellular, and it would be nice to hear those get restated in different contexts. The harmonies are very interesting at times but there are also many places where I'd make different harmonic choices. I don't know what your intentions are, but the way you treat some of the voice leading would be considered problematic in strict functional harmony. If that wasn't your concern, then don't worry about it.

Lokki Saints wrote on Mar 17th, 2011 3:56am

I really like your pieces definitley some of the best stuff on UG!

Lokki Saints wrote on Mar 17th, 2011 3:54am

descara wrote on Mar 16th, 2011 at 7:51pm :
Glad to hear you like classical!

Awesome tracks you got there for that matter. Is that your singing on some of them?

I sang on "Thorns" and did some narrative parts on "Imminent Cosmic Cataclysm". The covers were done by my old singer Tony Noyes and the Wrath of Wolves material was sung by Joe Lawson.

TechnicolorType wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 1:31am

thanks :]

your name looks like mascara by the way.

That's pretty cool.

Victoria-R wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 11:23pm

descara wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:26pm :
Glad you liked the aria! Your tracks are pretty neat, too. Especially like ithinkit'sdoomy. Though, let me guess, EzDrummer - DFH? :P

Well, haha yeah, you g00d, thanks! Oh noo, I'm just a poor, avid player that uses GheyrageBand... and now Audacity hahah. Low.

x[

nmitchell076 wrote on Dec 19th, 2010 11:08pm

Hey man, as a return of the favor for critiquing your piano piece, I've got a newly composed piece that I'd love to hear your feedback on! It was written for a composition class on electronics and/or percussion ensemble, here it is, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.ph p?t=1392439

nmitchell076 wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 10:52pm

I just sent a message with my comments on your piece, it was too long to post on the comment section haha

z4twenny wrote on Mar 16th, 2010 2:09am

thanks for droppin by, glad you enjoyed the tunes. if you like a perfect circle i did an acoustic/string cover of Orestes and just posted it.

National_Anthem wrote on Feb 20th, 2010 12:51am

Really?! I can't stand to listen to it, now. Too fast, random unmusical accents all over the place... But thanks anyway :)
Your fugue is none too shabby either!

AeolianWolf wrote on Feb 6th, 2010 10:11pm

the fugue was absolutely excellent, my friend. i always was a sucker for counterpoint.

1 2 read next »