bassmastamitch

bassmastamitch wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:00am :
I want.

A new amp.
bassmastamitch wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:00am :
I want.

A new amp.

Yeah, the MG is crap. I'd just consider your options a bit further, especially if overdriven tones are your thing. I'd have never bought an HRD, but I got it when they were selling them for 400 brand new.

bassmastamitcha wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 8:00am

Kevin Saale wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 10:57pm :

There are mods you can do to basically make the overdrive channel exactly like the clean channel, but it'll have a master and gain knob.

I want.

A new amp.

Kevin Saale wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 7:57am

bassmastamitch wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:56am :
Especially if I get it used. I'll save up a bit and get a full retube and volume pot replacement. I find it weird the master volume doesn't control volume on the clean channel. It's not a typical layout of where you can get drive on the clean by cranking the master and using the preamp gain as attenuation or whatever. It's all in one, which kind of stupid, because the drive channel is pretty much useless for the gain I like.

Kevin Saale wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 7:52am

bassmastamitch wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:50am :
The volume is super jumpy. I was trying it out today in a shop, the owner was on the phone telling me to keep it down and it was either barely audible or shaking the strings of the guitars on the wall. I liked it loud, but it's definitely incapable of bedroom levels. Not a problem for me though.

It takes pedals better than almost everything in its price range, as far as I've looked. It's a really good platform for YouTube reviews of pedals and such.

Totally agree. I like the a good dirt pedal like the next guy, but I've always preferred an amps overdrive over dirt pedals. Seriously though, if you pick one up, swap out the volume pots.

Kevin Saale wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 7:43am

I'd be wary, for the 600 dollars you're talking about you can get an amp that does the dirty tones you want and has decent cleans. If the fender cleans are totally necessary you can't go wrong, but the HRDs have problems out of the box you'd really need to sort before its a useable amp. For me the linear volume pots have to go.