XianXiuHong

XianXiuHong's Profile Comments

Life Is Brutal wrote on Nov 3rd, 2011 2:02am

XianXiuHong wrote on Nov 2nd, 2011 at 5:23pm :
Yeah I had a listen!

Try to keep the notes more connected overall. The Double's meant to flow, think of it like water. At the moment, it sounds more like hail-stones with how each note feels more like an individual unit than part of a phrase. I know your microphone didn't pick up the bass notes very well but after listening to the recording a few times (And trying to listen for the bass), I would like to hear you phrase both the top voice and the bass voice in the work. The audition panel will definitely be looking for that since it's very common for guitarists to phrase just one voice and play the other one purely straight. Other than that, you did pretty ok!

Thanks, I'll try to bring out each voice better. I just changed strings and everything is a lot more vibrant now, and the bass is louder. I'll try another version sometime, I've almost got the whole piece down.

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 30th, 2011 8:37pm

Did you take a listen to it? Any feedback at all is appreciated, even if you rip it apart and expose how terrible it is. :haha:

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 23rd, 2011 1:47am

BWV 997 is DONE! POSTED!

Theres a few minor mistakes and my computers built in mic isn't great so the bass is less audible than I would like, but nothing serious.

I always get red light syndrome when recording but not while practicing or playing for people. I always screw up recording but not performing. XD

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 21st, 2011 7:52pm

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:22pm :
Yeah, I use my thumbnail when I play, using the side of your thumb isn't the best way to get a good counterpoint sound and usually means that your right hand position isn't the best it could be. Check out John William's right hand position. I have a bit of an obsession with him but IMO, he has the most complete technique of any guitarist I've ever seen. ;p

Oh, I see. Hmm... My thumb nail needs to be slightly longer, and I would have to raise my hand slightly farther from the strings... I'll look into switching my playing style a bit.

Thanks! :D

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 5:08pm

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 5:05am :
I don't know about 2/3rds to the right. My nails are pretty evenly shaped, there's no slanting crests or anything. Ramping your nails like that makes you more prone to catching on the string.

If you look up the video of John Williams playing Isaac Albeniz's Cordoba, you get a few good shots of his nails. My nails are shaped similarly except for my thumbnail which is a lot longer.

Ideally, you'll want the white part of your nail to follow through nicely without any catching...it's sort of like the entire nail is in an oval shape and extends not too far out from your fingertip. It's hard to explain ;/

I think I understand. Do you actually use your thumbnail when playing? I end up using the side of it so having a nail on it is kind of useless...

Nails have grown out a bit more, so I've got them fixed. :D

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 6:39pm

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 12:32am :
Ah cool, looking forward to hearing it! Drop me a post when they're up!

FUUUUUUUUUUU- Filed my fingernails too far so nothing feels right!

Could I get some filing tips? I've heard that palm down, you're supposed to have them "Crest" 2/3rds to the right. Is that correct?

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 4:53am

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 at 8:52pm :
posting material of your playing anytime. Soz, grammar

I was actually thinking of posting some. I'll do them when I have them down well enough, and when I have some quiet time. :D

Also, I'm looking at all my shitty recordings now, and wondering how I ever thought they sounded decent. I think Im just going to clear all of them and start from scratch. :haha:

Except for the originals, those would be hard to redo exactly, even though they aren't great. :p:

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 3:16am

Ha, Segovia was great but there are definite reasons that some may not like him. :p:

I'll try to avoid the rubato then. I'm hoping that the audition location has good acoustics so it will "Buffer" any possible mistakes I make. XD

BTW, I've got BWV 997 at 99BPM/107BPM, albeit I don't have the entire piece memorized yet. I'm adding a couple bars a day, and emphasizing that I'm playing those correctly before continuing.

And I moved up 10BPM on Lobos, so I'm at 110/140, for picking technique atleast.

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 7:48pm

I don't know what my speed limit is though, But I'd only do a piece if I could play it well. :haha:

So you say 100BPM wouldn't be terrible for the Lobos piece? Also, when watching Segovia play it, he takes almost a mini pause when chord switching, Is this acceptable, or should I do it without losing a beat?

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 7:03am

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 11:28pm :
The fingering Villa-Lobos intended for the right hand is as follows

P-I-P-I-P-M-I-A-M-A-I-M-P-I-P-I

Good luck and happy practicing

That tempo is going to be hard to get to. It says 140BPM, but I can only do the pattern at 100BPM... >.<

I both love and hate pieces where I need to pass a technique milestone. Such as being able to perform that pattern at tempo. :haha:

Anyway, thanks, you've helped quite a bit. I was also thinking of doing this one, just because its such a nice piece. Its probably far too easy though. :haha:

If I really wanted to do it, I could probably condense it down to a minute for shits and giggles. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzcEZXTQNg8&feature =related

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 5:29am

Ha, about the same. I've been playing guitar for just under four years and classical guitar for around two, although I've never had a teacher with any of it. I got a lesson from a TA a few weeks back to check if my technique was good and to see if I had what it takes to be accepted. He said I should do pretty good, and he also helped me fix my hand posture. :)

I still do electric quite a bit, but classical is taking up a majority of it. And nails make it difficult to mulitfinger tap. :p

If they want Authenticity I should show up with a lute and some gut strings... :haha:

Authenticity is good and all, and you should use the dynamics and feeling that the composer had when they created the piece. But as a performer, you should also have a right to embellish on such things and play it how you would play it.

I think the thing with Bach is that since hes so respected, people feel that if you alter any work of his in any way, its blasphemy. Sacriledge, if you will. :haha:

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 5:16am

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 7:55pm :

Feel free to ask me more questions if you need to

I have a question pertaining to the Lobos Etude. The left hand work is fairly straight forward, but what of the right? I haven't tried it yet but should I just utilize my Index and Middle fingers? What is the most economical way to do this? :p

I'll try it momentarily, but some advice would be nice.

The Barrios piece is quite nice, and I really like the Tarentella piece. I've been looking for a piece with this kind of "Outside" sound, which reminds me a bit of The Las Angeles Guitar Quartet. I'll look into all of these.

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 4:57am

Awesome, thanks for the pieces and advice. I've got until December 10th to get all my pieces ready, so I've got plenty of time. I'm working on getting the piece up the speed in that video, but the second half is much more difficult than the intro repeat, IMO.

This is an audition so I can pursue a degree in music, which would either be in Theory and Composition, or BM in classical guitar. I honestly think that the T&C degree would be more useful, but I'll see where it takes me.

Also, you said that Bach piece was degree level difficulty? If I can play it properly and well, shouldn't that be more reason to approve me? (Not saying I can of course, just stating. :p:)

Also, great work on your classical MP3s. How long have you been playing, and more specifically, playing classical? I met this one dude recently who was this great classical player, and he told me he had been playing for 2 years. I was like "WAHT!?", and then he told me he had 12 years of violin playing before guitar. :haha:

Faded Grey wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 3:13am

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 8:29pm :
Those classical guitar recordings I have on my profile, the theme and a few variations of The Harmonious Blacksmith, a Richard Charlton flute/guitar sonata and Norwegian Cowbell by Paul Gilbert.

Cars, bikes and academia eh? So is music still a large part of your life or what? I'm surprised you dropped playing haha, you were quite into jazz if I remember correctly. Ah well, that's cool. What areas of academia interest you most?

That's a pretty diverse selection of pieces. Best of luck with your competition. Is the P.G. piece a classical arrangement, or are you playing it on electric? Also, are you still planning on majoring in music at uni?

It's still a part of my life, but I wouldn't call it a large one. I still wank around on guitar every now and then. As for the academic interests, I quite enjoy history, theology, politics and psychology. Do you still study any any academic topics? I remember you being pretty big on medieval history.

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 2:16am

Could you suggest a few classical pieces that would be good for an audition into a university's music program?

At the moment I'm working on this piece, albeit I'm not able to get it up to that speed yet. I usually play it around the speed that Chris Broderick plays it. The reason I picked this video is that the quality and overall sound is better, and its also the entire piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIsumDxGctE&feature =related

I need 3 pieces or so, although 6-10 minutes of total material is preffered. I've got a few other pieces that I know/could learn, but this is the main one that I would like to do with my current knowledge.

Any suggestions? Rather not do too much Bach, although most Bach is really awesome.

Faded Grey wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 2:01am

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 6:57pm :
Pretty sweet, been practicing heaps and shit like that, studying a little for my final exams. I got nominated for HSC Encore for my performance aswell, so I'll have to record an audition tape and send it in and if I'm chosen I'll get to perform at the Opera House ;3

How's music and life going for you? Still sticking to jazz piano?

That's awesome, man. All that woodshedding payed off. What pieces are you planning on playing for your audition?

Life's going along quite nicely. Quite nicely, indeed. I got a new car, new phone and new interests. School's been taking up most of my time lately, but I've gotta say that I'm quite enjoying it so far. Sophomore year has been a blast.

As for the music, I haven't seriously practiced in the longest, man. I've lost interest in playing. Nowadays, I'm more into cars, bikes and various academic topics.

Faded Grey wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 6:24pm

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 3:33am :
Cuz you disappeared from me

Lol....

So man, how's the grad life?

Faded Grey wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 7:59am

Yo dawg, why you lurkin' on my profile?

Nameless742 wrote on May 10th, 2011 1:39pm

DavidRayT wrote on May 9th, 2011 at 5:44pm :
I love how you have thousands of thousands of profile views, just because it says you're a lesbian in your sig. To people expect lesbo pr0nz when they click on your profile or something?! Haha

Yes, but I only subbed/commented cause she has some good songs!

DavidRayT wrote on May 9th, 2011 6:44pm