Wood & Metal

Wood & Metal's Profile Comments

ln_z wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 7:47am

i hope you're having a marvelous summer!
just wanted to stop by and say hello.
take care!

-- lindsey

planetogo wrote on May 30th, 2009 12:39pm

I'm still getting used to being a grown-up.

Where abouts were you in the States? That's where I got my first Harmonica too.

Take it easy.

planetogo wrote on May 30th, 2009 12:38pm

I've finished college and have moved out of Dublin, *sigh* and back up to Northern Ireland, and am still a little, I don't know, restless? The transition's been made a little easier because I've started hanging out with this girl I really like (cheers God), and although this has caused major complications and challenges, that's going well.

It's alsop given me two more great movie ideas to work on once I've finished writing my current project. That's my real ambition: screenwriting. I did spend four years getting a degree in the subject. I would like to record a lot of my music properly, and put a band together too, but I'm still in post-university inertia/debt, and trying to get through that. I could see myself leaving Ireland, but honestly, my professional future is extremely uncertain.

To be continued...

planetogo wrote on May 30th, 2009 12:32pm

Good to hear from you dude, looking forward to hearing your song (I will go on at you about it).

You must have seen some of the "Irish Tour 74" film, which is class. The accompanying live record is my favourite Rory album. Apparently he was a lovely guy, but he did like his drink (but the Irish tend to be happy drunks). If you do end up on our little island, your not getting away without having a good jam with me.

I've been offered a couple of solo gigs in July, so I'm trying to finish a bunch of songs for then. A lot of stuff has been going on in my life recently, which all makes for good material, but I kind of have to distance myself from it before it starts to flow creatively. I'm heading away on an outreach programme in a couple of weeks, I did it last year too and finished a whole load of songs then.

To be continued...

ln_z wrote on May 29th, 2009 3:32am

you can look me up on youtube for some live performances, if you'd like.
i'm like you with the music tastes thing. i love everrrrything. i don't like country though. or rap/hip-hop. welll except for the beats :) i love me a fresh beat. but the words are so dumb 99.99999% of the time. makes me mad...wasting music like that. but to each their own, right? that's what music's about: individuality. thank you so much for your comment :) it truly means the world to me to hear things like that. it actually strengthens my faith! because it reassures that feeling i have that this is what I was meant to do.
i wish i knew more about music history!! hopefully i'll learn all that good stuff in college. :)
well, keep rockin, and keep in touch :D

ln_z wrote on May 29th, 2009 3:31am

wow...nicest comment ever!! thank you so so much! :D
let's see..i've been playing guitar for 3 years now, but singing ever since i was a little girl. i've always looooved music, but my older brother who has been playing for about 9 years really inspired me to learn. now we perform together occasionally :) it's pretty great. my musical influences are Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters [my favorite band :) ], the Beatles, Brandi Carlile [hence my 2 covers by her..], Jon Foreman, John Mayer, and many others. i've never had any kind of lessons, though i'd like to. my talents AND my passions are gifts from God. and i'm so thankful for both. I really connect to Him most through the beautiful gift of music. it's definitely something i want to do for the rest of my life. yeah my epiphone is really pretty [a gift from my oldest brother] but it needs a bit of work. i play my ibanez AEG20E the most. it's my baby :)

ln_z wrote on May 25th, 2009 11:49pm

thanks for stopping by! :)

God bless!
lindsey

planetogo wrote on May 7th, 2009 7:30pm

Yeah, I do... man, I can't think all of a sudden...

I suppose my opinion is basically a Biblical one. When spiritual gifts are outlined in 1 Corinthians 12 it doesn't give any indication that certain gifts won't be given in the future. The notion that certain gifts, like tongues, were only given to New Testament Christians and have since died out isn't founded on anything written in the Bible.

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." - Romans 8 v26

While the interpretation of tongues is also a gift, not all speeches or prayers in tongues are for interpretation, and those uninterpreted tongues are for the edification of oneself not of the whole church (1 Corinthians 14 v 4).

This having been said, I also agree with Paul that speaking in tongues is the least of spiritual gifts, and that prophecy and teaching are more important

planetogo wrote on Apr 9th, 2009 12:17am

Check this out, it's pretty good:

planetogo wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 11:56pm

I'm not 100% sure what my favourite slide licks are... but Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying" is amazing, so is Derek Trucks' "Volunteered Slavery" and Joe Walsh's slide solo on "Pretty Maids All in a Row," may just be the best guitar solo ever, even if it is only about 10 seconds.

And then you've got lap style playing...

What about yourself? What other slide players are you into, what type of stuff do you play/write? Any chance you're going to get some mp3s up?

planetogo wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 11:55pm

In terms of pointers I'd say its really important to have your own voice on the guitar, especially with slide. My own style is more to do with rythm playing (I rarely play electric slide, I tend to stick with my Dobro) than solo licks, tryin to hold down a steady groove and imposing little bits of melody, but Duane is more about playing pure melody over a rhythm section. The way I learned (and I'm totally self taught) was to pick a finger, stick a slide on it, tune my guitar to an open tuning and just slide around ideas on the neck till I found things that worked. I was fingerpicking before that though, so I didn't have that issue. Don't get too hung up on what other people do, or how they play. If you find the slide works best on your pinkie, go for it. If you find flatpicking easier than fingers, flatpick. I mix them both up by using a thumbpick, so you might want to check that out.

planetogo wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 11:55pm

Okay, slide guitar... My first exposure to it was Jimmy Page, but my real inspiration to take it up myself was Rory Gallagher, particularly his version of "As the Crow Flies". You should definately check out Bob Brozman, John Butler, Derek Trucks (nephew to The Allman Brothers' Butch), and some of the older blues guys, like Booker White and Son House.

planetogo wrote on Apr 2nd, 2009 10:43pm

Sorry dude, I haven't been checking up on folk regularly, I'm just busy at the moment. I'll get back to you more fully tomorrow, I'm shattered. Good to hear from you though. Take it easy.

planetogo wrote on Mar 3rd, 2009 12:43am

Rory Gallagher... he always thought he played better live than in the studio, and I agree wholeheartedly. The best place to begin with Rory would be to get one of his live albums:

Live in Europe
Irish Tour
Stage Struck
Meeting with the G-Man

There exists somewhere a package of all of these for relatively cheap, but failing that, I would recommend of the four, Irish Tour; considered his best recorded work, and represents the variety of his material, from high-powered rock, reinterpreted electric blues and some virtuosic dobro work. Live in Europe comes a close second in my humble opinion.

SocialismCross wrote on Feb 19th, 2009 2:55am

hi there
that's a nice profile.
2nd, why are you so against denominations ?

planetogo wrote on Jan 29th, 2009 12:36am

What's up dude? I'm just going around and catching up with everyone in my friends list.

Natrone wrote on Dec 18th, 2008 10:20pm

Yeah, I'm really, really hoping it all works out. I just have this feeling that youth ministry is what God is calling me to do. The only problem I have is that I want to stay in the Lutheran Church, but they don't train anyone but DCE's for youth work. I really want to be a youth pastor of some sort, someone who works with the youth and talks to them about their beliefs and struggles and helps them to grow in their faith. I know that right now, I could really use someone like that: someone to just talk about my faith with.

Youth ministry is just where I feel I should be, but I can't exactly figure out HOW I'm going to get there.

Natrone wrote on Dec 10th, 2008 4:29am

That's really cool that you've been in missionary work your whole life. I can't imagine the life lessons you learn and experiences you get from that.

planetogo wrote on Nov 27th, 2008 4:46pm

Dude, Duane, Eric and Pete are some of my favourites too. You're pretty cool.

Funny you should say that about Zeppelin, my Dad (now a minister) got rid of all of his Zeppelin records before I was born for similar reasons... although a lot of ithad to do with idolatry as well.

Personally I think the whole playing "Stairway" backwards (apart from being kinda dumb) is pure coincidence, and from interviews Page admits just being interested in the occult but denies ever being a Satanist or a true beleiver in any of it...

Besides I connect emotionally with the music and can see that despite what wierd/wrong/bizarre things they may or may not beleive we are all still human, created equal. I still like Pearl Jam even though they're pro-choice, and I still like Rage Against the Machine even though they're faux-marxists (maybe that's why I like them. I find they're political silliness funny).

And as long as you're mocking death metal, I'm cool with it.

planetogo wrote on Nov 18th, 2008 3:57pm

I find metal really self-indulgent, and I'm just not into it man.

To answer your questions: The short version is I started playing when I was about 16 (6 years ago now) after hearing Heartbreaker by Led Zeppelin. My favourite guitarist was then and still is Jimmy Page, simply because he plays anything he wants to and gels all those different influences together. He's not just a great guitarist, he writes great songs too. I can't come up with a whole favourite solo, but I love this lick he plays low on the fretboard in The Song Remains the Same, and his pedal steel work on Tangerine. Man, there's loads...

1 2 read next