The Virtuoso

The Virtuoso's Profile Comments

DeathArtillery wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 2:31am

@http://wall.pouthapioume.gr/myband.aspx?i=1283

NosferatuZodd09 wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 9:04pm

haha it seems I keep genre hopping or something >_< to me it sounds like some very bestial aggressive thrash but yeah I guess it is pretty deathy too :C would make a fine entry to the death metal round since I don't even know what I'm doing for that one.. and for the doom I have one.. that might be too long lol it's literally a single riff that's like 75 measures long but also dwelves into black metal so I wish I could submit it for both rounds cause I think it would stand up in it [there's no "repeats" or a good cut off for it lol it just develops into the next theme]

Burning_Angel wrote on Sep 7th, 2012 2:59am

The Virtuoso wrote on May 10th, 2012 at 9:48am :
I think your comparison is perfectly accurate. :

I think you should still check them out if you enjoy neo-folk at all. I recommend their latest album, the trilogy. From what I've heard from Tenhi, they're good, but they just don't do it for me like Rome; it seems to be that we are diametrically opposed.

So holy shit I finally got around to really checking out Rome. I enjoy most of it quite a lot of what I've listened. Flowers from Exile is great.

Burning_Angel wrote on May 17th, 2012 6:47pm

The Virtuoso wrote on May 10th, 2012 at 9:48am :
I think your comparison is perfectly accurate. :

Haha clearly, because for me Tenhi is one of the greatest things ever in music. Nothing else is quite like them.

Still, I'll get around to Rome eventually [I have quite the list of things to get through, however]

Burning_Angel wrote on May 9th, 2012 3:39am

The Virtuoso wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 4:33pm :

If you like this then I suggest you try to download/buy all of their albums. They're from Luxembourg, and they are most certainly worth your time. I even made a thread on them a while back.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.ph p?t=1497851

Well, you seem to be as much of a fanboy of this band as I am of Tenhi.

Nonetheless, while the songs I've sampled dont do it for me like Tenhi does, I can dig it. I will probably get around to them soonish.

Burning_Angel wrote on May 6th, 2012 6:51pm

The Virtuoso wrote on May 6th, 2012 at 10:15am :
I don't think you're missing anything BA, I just think that you don't like Cohen which is fine by me! However, if you don't like Rome, then we are going to start having problems.
Not gonna lie, Rome I don't know. Gimme an example?

Burning_Angel wrote on May 5th, 2012 6:26am

So I listened to that Leonard Cohen song you posted. Voice was better, but as a whole it still didnt do it for me. The guitar playing was nice, albeit repetitive [which in itself is not a bad thing], and the voice was monotonous but not unpleasant, but altogether I just... Eh. Was unmoved. Am I missing something?

severed-metal wrote on Nov 28th, 2011 11:54pm

The Virtuoso wrote on Nov 28th, 2011 at 8:10am :
Loving them. It's such a shame that Nattdal passed away; I would have loved for them to continue making music. Have you listened to ( )'s other projects?

They've never really interested me, as Nattdal was the primary reason behind me listening to Lifelover. As I understand it, he was the biggest driving force and creative inspiration behind them, and Kim was more or less just a vessel.

Although without Kim there would be no Lifelover, so that's a valid point for checking out his other stuff.

Anyways, enough rambling, I've heard Hypothermia and that's about it.

severed-metal wrote on Nov 28th, 2011 2:38pm

How are you enjoying Lifelover?

Burning_Angel wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 6:16am

The Virtuoso. you responded to my thread. You spoke of Last.fm.

You should add me: www.last.fm/user/verdun_sc

08L1V10N wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 9:03pm

Vypor wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 at 5:32am :
If you write a guitar riff, no matter if its hardcore, metalcore, metal, or anything aggressive - people will almost always describe it as a heavy metal guitar riff. Having this elitist attitude towards music genres just seems rather silly to me.

So? It think that it's more arrogant so say that ignorant people alas the most people who are hearing the riff, make a description that is more valid then educated people

08L1V10N wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 1:25pm

(to vypor)

08L1V10N wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 1:24pm

uneducated you say? :D you are hilarious. Is this pure irony?

The Virtuosoa wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 5:51am

It's not about being an arrogant ass and presupposing an sense of superiority; for me it has more to do with placing bands in the appropriate genre. You wouldn't say that Bach was a neoclassical composer, or that Michael Jackson was a progressive rocker; it just doesn't make sense to apply the properties of some music to some musician's musical output. I am not saying that LOG is bad, I personally dislike them, but that is irrelevant. I merely want to find a more apt description than simply "they are metal." Death metal has defining characteristics, as does Black metal; of course styles vary between different bands, but the conceptual framework holds true throughout. Hopefully this makes sense. :)

The Virtuosoa wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 5:51am

I'll try and find time to respond to your other post in more detail later, but I have a paper on Locke due tomorrow. This should do for now: I don't think there is anything wrong with being specific when you discuss music, because if we don't define music properly then confusion arises, you wouldn't call Black Sabbath a Brutal Death Metal band would you, even if they were both considered metal?

Vypor wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 5:32am

Vypor wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 5:31am

I understand your point (Virtuoso) but by that logic, no two bands would share the same genre description. Though two bands sound alike, and may be classified under the same sub-genre, the differences in the music from band to band would constitute a new genre for every single band - or even every song produced. Its like saying the Slipknot and Mudvayne don't belong in the same genre because Ryan Martini was always a better bass player than Paul Grey. As an entire band, Slipknot and Mudvaynes musical playing styles were very different from eachother but the overall sound in the end got them lumped into the same genre. This whole debate was started becuase of your uneducated friend oblivion threw a fit about people using umbrella terms like metal to describe a band like Trivium or Lamb of God, which really isn't that unreasonable. Lamb of God and Trivium are metal bands, its really rather arrogant to argue that they are not.

08L1V10N wrote on Sep 6th, 2011 9:10pm

and honestly, if you think that screamo (a genre I truely love) is even in the slightest bit related to metal, I think you have sunken too far to make a decent discussion of this

08L1V10N wrote on Sep 6th, 2011 9:09pm

Vypor wrote on Sep 6th, 2011 at 4:11pm :

Well, most people listen to Lady Gaga and don't know shit about music. Does that make their opinion as valid as, say someone like me or the virtuoso?

Vypor wrote on Sep 6th, 2011 4:11pm

Does country music from the 80's and the 90's sound anything like TODAYS country music? NO it doesn't, but its still country music.

When you ask what qualities modern metal has as opposed to "original heavy metal" I argue that the qualities are much the same, just modernized or evolved. Can you think of any other genre of music that hasn't evolved in sound over the years? All music evolves, but that doesn't mean it needs its own exclusive name that cannot be associated with an umbrella term like metal. Whether it be hardcore, screamo, nu-metal, death-metal, or even grunge, to an outsider that doesn't care - its all just metal. Not to say that sun-genres don't serve their purpose, they obviously do - but whining and throwing a fit because an umbrella term is used to describe a "sub-genre" is rather silly. I see you are a fellow philosophy major - I'm sure this will turn out to be an interesting discussion.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 read next