Tedward

Tedward's Profile Comments

forsaknazrael wrote on May 16th, 2011 2:48am

Tedward wrote on May 15th, 2011 at 5:45pm :
Man I am absolutely totally lost trying to clip the bright cap on my VTM.

I've read it's C1, C2, and I've been told it's C5, I have not idea what it looks like.

I can't even see where the caps/resistors are soldered on, whether I should drain them. I'm about to change the tubes to Sovteks from GT's and I don't even know whether I should do that.

Anyways I'm not entirely sure if I should even bother continuing or if I'm just being overwhelmed by something that's really not that difficult.
Do you have the schematic file dude? Should show you where everything is. :)

forsaknazrael wrote on Jul 31st, 2010 6:41pm

damn, that sucks. Don't see why an old warning would result in that ban though....

The beginning of the preamp, the one with the bright cap and all the controls is under the metal panel. The metal panel is held on by like three screws or something.

For the bias mod, there's quite a few filter caps on the same board, btw. So you'd need to drain them.

So once/if you feel like modding it more, let me know. I can give a bigger run down as to what mods to do. :D
one of the things I liked most was reducing the gain to JCM800 levels, and then making the first gain switch bring it back up a little more than the VTM has stock. The first gain switch isn't all that usable IMO, if you don't do this - sounds kinda buzz saw like, you know?

forsaknazrael wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 5:32pm

:wavey: howd you get banned?

DeathByDestroyr wrote on Jul 19th, 2010 8:51am

Tedward wrote on Jul 12th, 2010 at 5:23pm :
yo this is kind of random but if you ever decide to sell your Destroyer sell it to me! I'll come down from Winnipeg to pick it up :

Very very nice though, I'd never let that thing go.
Heh, thanks. I guess it's one of the better models they produced, got it for $300 off a buddy of mine. Very beat up though, I plan on refretting it in a few years when I go to school, hopefully, to become a luthier. Think I will leave all the chipped paint though, gives it some history.

Unless you would like to trade for your firstborn son?

forsaknazrael wrote on Jul 12th, 2010 3:05pm

Alright, more on the VTM.
Yes, it's fixed adjustable bias. Never tried Yellow Jacket shiz, so I don't know how well it'll work, or how it'll sound.

I do recommend correcting the voltage divider and adding a bias pot. Peavey biases them really cold, and holy hell, mine sounded A LOT better after I biased it to 70% dissipation.

I played it cranked up yesterday at band practice, it was amazing. Sounds so good. :heart:

forsaknazrael wrote on Jul 11th, 2010 11:51pm

Well, the VTM has it's circuit arranged in a modular format. The stuff in front of the first preamp tube is on one board. The preamp is on another, power supply, power tubes...

So you don't need to drain the filter cap for the input mods.
Take the knobs off, and unscrew the pots and jacks, and then you can take out the prepreamp board. Desolder the bright cap. I also recommend replacing the 470K/470pF pair with a 68K resistor. This will let it open up at lower volumes and be less bright.

It's fixed bias, but I don't recommend changing tube types. Just fix the bias. :D
more on that later, I gotta run.

STABxYOU wrote on Jul 6th, 2010 9:20am

Tedward wrote on Jul 5th, 2010 at 10:57pm :
errrr now that I read your gear list I see you own the HM-2 and HM-3...

but still do any of them really stand out over the others?

The HM-2 sounds a little better to me then the HM-3. The HM-3 sounds to me a little rounder and better suited for alternative. However, that said, the HM-2, HM-3, American Metal, Thrash Master, Metal Maniac (and for that matter early Grunge and Death Metal) pedals are all basically the same circuit, with some values changed.

I've heard the DOD ones are harsher(but never actually had a chance to try them), the HM-2 is the classic, the HM-3 sounds like fuzzstortion.

chuckmehh wrote on May 7th, 2010 12:59am

Tedward wrote on May 6th, 2010 at 6:49pm :
dude 30 seconds into Machine Label....

HEAVY !!!

haha thanks man! that's what i was goin for!

forsaknazrael wrote on Apr 16th, 2010 1:12am

what kind of tones you looking for anyway?

forsaknazrael wrote on Apr 13th, 2010 2:51am

Tedward wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 5:29pm :
Hey I'm just wondering if you have any experience playing a Marshall JTM60 and if that amp in any way compares to the VTM60 (which I haven't played before)?

I took my guitar in to the shop to see how much it might be worth to trade in and while I was their (checking out Orange amps) they also had a used JTM60 for a not too bad price ($550 CND) and I liked the way it sounded, had decent features as well as far as FX loops and controls go.

I'm just curious that if you've played both would you recommend one over the other?
oh I dunno what a JTM60 is. The VTM60 is a copy of the JCM800.

I just looked up the JTM60, seems it has some serious reliability issues. Google it for yourself. ;)

MangoStarr wrote on Nov 10th, 2009 3:26am

what school you go to?

Momentosis wrote on Oct 9th, 2009 12:34am

So how 'bout that Techno Viking dance?

thejoel3 wrote on Oct 1st, 2009 4:58am

Tedward wrote on Aug 15th, 2009 at 12:26pm :
I was looking over my old posts and I found the thread where you shooped animals and I found the Chimguin

Thats the coolest thing Ive ever seen lmfao

Thanks dude I'm working on new ones. Ill be sure to get them on the forums when they are done.

CapnKickass wrote on Aug 27th, 2009 8:07pm

sweet guitar man.

TRAG1Ca11YH1p=) wrote on Aug 16th, 2009 10:26pm

were you at shredfest yesterday?

azn_guitarist25 wrote on Jul 10th, 2009 1:24pm

set me back around $2500aud inc. shipping from the dealer :)

supergerbil wrote on Jul 2nd, 2009 8:58am

Thanks, I'll get that next time I go into town. I agree with your favourites of geogaddi, although I'd have to add alpha and omega.

supergerbil wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 9:53am

Saw your sig. I heard 1969 in music and fell in love with it. I bought geodgaddi and it's probably my favourite album. Which would you recommend next that has similar songs?

unregistered_657599 wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 12:59am

Tedward wrote on Jun 15th, 2009 at 10:42pm :

ahhhhhh I lost the game.

I'm wondering if you viewed my closed thread about my epic game losing experience?

Can't say I did.

gallagher2006 wrote on May 20th, 2009 12:52am

Boards of Canada fan, I hear? My mate got me into them a few months ago, they're strangely addictive...

1 2 read next