RG_FANMAN

RG_FANMAN's Profile Comments

Skierinanutshel wrote on Oct 16th, 2009 5:44pm

crazy. most of my gear is with me (i actually am running over to west chester music tomorrow for the tech to look at fitting a new nut on my strat) in case you ever feel a need to try anything out.

Skierinanutshel wrote on Oct 16th, 2009 4:25pm

RG_FANMAN wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 2:34pm :
yea. oh crap, I just noticed you do too!?

wow, we're very observant. i usually hang around schmucker south though (forensics major and all), and i live in the apts. at south campus.

Skierinanutshel wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 6:48pm

dude. DUDE. you go to WCU?

Skierinanutshel wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 3:20pm

RG_FANMAN wrote on Oct 10th, 2009 at 8:52pm :
a younger guy and an older guy who was half bald with a black mustache. I thought it was weird too since when I went there in June there was an older guy with gray hair and a beard that had a chat with me about the old Les Pauls they had and a recently acquired Bassman 4x10.

if the younger guy had orange hair, that was aaron. the older guy you are talking about (i forget his name) is a bit of a "purist" as its called, so i guess him not liking capos is expected. aaron is really nice and whenever i see him we always have a good chat about pedals, fuzzes in particular. i cant see aaron saying bad stuff about capos, though. weird.

Skierinanutshel wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 1:45am

RG_FANMAN wrote on Oct 10th, 2009 at 3:21pm :
You've been to West Chester music before, right? I went in there yesterday to get a capo and when I asked their opinions on them since I'm not knowledgeable about them the two guys working there starting giving me crap about how using a Capo is the easy way out since it's like you're always playing in E and the one guy there said he didn't use a capo because he liked "being proficient." This is really discouraging since when I went in there in June they seemed cool, but yesterday they came off as dicks.

weird. do you know who it was at the front counter? they are usually a lot of fun to talk to.

stradivari310 wrote on May 21st, 2009 3:57am

RG_FANMAN wrote on May 20th, 2009 at 7:29pm :

Alright, cool. I was thinking of picking up a violin that was at my local music store for like 3 or 4 hundred bucks. Would the intonation issue be similar to playing a fretless guitar or bass? cuz I've played those a few times and was comfortable with that.

That's a good price for a starter-level instrument that still sounds good. You might even be able to go cheaper actually. It's almost like a fretless guitar, but far more precise. You're going to feel like you have huge hands haha

stradivari310 wrote on May 21st, 2009 12:57am

RG_FANMAN wrote on May 20th, 2009 at 8:54am :

Hey John, you play violin, right? I was thinking of getting a violin since it's always been an instrument I've wanted to learn (along with cello), and I was wondering if you had any tips on what to look for in a decent violin, bowing techniques, good places to pick up the basics from, etc.

A decent violin is hard to find if you're not used to the instrument, because the nuances in tone are quite subtle for a non-violinist. I suggest trolling Craigslist and picking up a mid-priced full-size violin to mess around with.

The interesting thing about violin is that it's very structured. It's incredibly different from guitar. First of all there's no frets, so it takes years to learn good intonation. There's also the bow. Everything, including fingering and bowing technique, needs to be done in an extremely specific fashion or you won't get good tone.

If/when you get one, I can give you more direction. It's a bit more than I can fit into a post on here haha

xwearesinking wrote on Feb 9th, 2009 2:03am

That's pretty much it. Percussion is a lot more sensitive than almost all other instrument types. There's actually a ton of variables you have to consider when buying higher quality kits, much more so than guitars. You should learn about cymbals/sizes too, but to start off you'll probably want 14" Hats, a 20" ride and a 16" crash. That's pretty much standard.

All I can really suggest to learn about this stuff is to play, play, play and ask questions. Reading is all well and good, but really, how do you truthfully describe how something sounds? My recommendation is to try out as many different types of drums as possible - different sizes, different woods/materials, different set ups/configurations, different sticks, etc.

xwearesinking wrote on Feb 9th, 2009 1:10am

Well, I'm not sure if his it is designed specifically for jazz, but that's pretty much how it's set up. He uses a 4 piece Gretsch kit with a really big bass drum and three cymbals. Most post-rock bands use a similar set up as well, sometimes even more basic. Most "rock" bands use standard 5 piece drum kits (snare, first mounted tom (on top of the bass drum) second mounted tom, floor tom, bass drum) with high hats, a couple crash cymbals and a ride cymbal.

I'd recommend heading down to your local drum shop, or to someone's house who has drums, and just pound things for a little bit. Get someone to teach you a couple basic 4/4 beats, and just practice tapping your fingers/feet for a little while. I'd recommend grabbing a used 5 piece kit and experimenting with that.

Do you know the basic functions/names of all the pieces of a drum kit?

xwearesinking wrote on Feb 9th, 2009 12:48am

For sure. First of all, do you already play drums? You should know what you want before you buy anything too specific - kits are all about comfort. What's your budget like? Are you willing to go used?

You can usually find decent Pearl Export 5 piece kits fairly cheap. I have a vintage Export kit that I really like, but I'll be upgrading somewhere in the future (to a custom made kit).

I personally like more jazz style kits, similar to Dave from Russian Circles. Really, really big bass drum, thick floor tom, and a 12" rack tom.

Good brands to look into for decent beginner/intermediate kits - Gretsch, Ludwig, Tama, Sonor, Yamaha, Pearl.

Look out for used kits as well, I see lots of decent stuff floating around my area for $500-$800.

tenaciousjp wrote on Jan 21st, 2009 9:26pm

Hey man,

i just have one more querstion about the caliber, at the gain at 10(maxed out) does it clean up well?

i really want a clean tone like jason becker in this vid

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RJR0Hm3WIrI&feature= channel_page

can this amp achieve this?
or even close?

the vid on youtube are not the best. i seen a dc-5 video with great tone from it but im not 100% sure if ill get the same out of the 50+cal.

xwearesinking wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 11:25pm

It should be good. As far as I know they're pretty much the same as the 800's. This is what makes it good though - "Has the original Made-in-England Celestion G12T-75's and casters"

If it's in your area, definitely test it out.

travd92 wrote on Dec 31st, 2008 4:09pm

DUDE! get some pictures of your DC-5 up :) i'd love to see it.

xwearesinking wrote on Dec 16th, 2008 3:12am

at any given point there's at least 2 good heads worth bidding on. A vintage Model T went for around $1500 less than a week ago, and there's another one (which is actually mislabled) on there right now. Last time I checked (earlier today) it was still at $570 - 9 bids and less than 2 days to go.

I actually emailed the seller telling him he had the wrong info - he listed the specs for a reissue when he advertised it as a 1st gen. He updated it shortly afterwards

xwearesinking wrote on Dec 15th, 2008 3:00pm

if i were you i'd seriously consider bidding on that sunn you found. price hasn't gone up yet. it looks like it'll be pretty sweet, and that price it's a steal. the guy said you only have to pay a flat $40 shipping fee too. I would seriously consider it if you've got some money.

xwearesinking wrote on Dec 11th, 2008 1:32am

yeah, 6550's are generally darker too.

xwearesinking wrote on Dec 10th, 2008 10:05pm

that is an excellent price, but it's actually a bit different than mine. mine is the I-40 (there's actually a couple different models of the I, the II, the I-40, II-60 etc.), it's an older model (by a year or two). that one uses EL34's while mine uses 6550's. mine was made in tualatan and that one was in Portland. i'm not too sure how similar it would sound to mine because of the EL34's. mine doesn't break up at all, but this one looks like it will at higher volumes with a slightly british voiced crunch.

either way, you can't go wrong at that price. my winning bid was less than $600, and i would have paid much more than that if it was local.

xwearesinking wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 9:10pm

not a problem dude.

The DD-6 is definitely more versitile than the DE-7, don't get me wrong, but the DE-7 is much better sounding. Test one out on "Echo" mode and you'll see what i mean.

And yeah, for reverbs in stomboxes either the Verbzilla or the Yamaha Magicstomp (i'm willing to vouch for this one even though i haven't played through it in it's entirety. the guru's that advise me in the teachings of ambience strongly recommend it though).

For rack revebs, keep an eye out for these especially: Korg DRV1000, Boss SE-50/SE-70, Yamaha SPX90/FX500 (mostly for reverse), Boss RRV-10, Alesis Midiverb and MicroVerb are really good but noisey.

xwearesinking wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 1:56am

delay/reverb is my specialty btw.

xwearesinking wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 1:55am

delays:

Honestly, any ambient rig needs at least 2 delays (preferably one analog and one digital) and at least one looper with a MINIMUM of 4 seconds recording time.

My personal favourite and highly underrated digital delay is the Ibanez DE-7. Jesus Christ, i can't stress enough how good this pedal really is. Much better sounding that the boss digidelay series when on "echo" mode. Long delay times, very good warm sounding analog sim, nice self oscillation, solid construction. it's cheap as hell too.

really, any analog delay will do. the carbon copy is a nice touch but youll be fine with an old DOD FX90 analog delay. if you're going to use one for real playing, not just self oscillation/cascading multiple delays into each other, then go for the carbon copy. if you wan one to mess around with, pick up a cheap one.

1 2 3 read next