Quintessence153

Quintessence153's Profile Comments

Benadeto wrote on Jan 10th, 2010 2:49am

Quintessence153 wrote on Jan 9th, 2010 at 5:15pm :
Sorry I'm so late in responding. I almost forgot about your question. Mah bad!

If I had to pick a favorite Sbemail, I'd say Diorama, since it caters so well to my love of academic in-jokes. What's your fav?

They are all excellent. Minigolf is fantastic for introducing SBemails to people, cause it just weirds them out.

But favourite is a toss up between Dragon and Different Town.
But Personal Favourites has the best intro tune.
O-O-O-O-OO-O-O-OO-O-H EMAIL!!!

Benadeto wrote on Jan 6th, 2010 8:17am

AWESOME! A Strongbad fan.

yellowbird... wrote on Apr 24th, 2009 8:30am

So, uhm.. My boyfriend is Goest.. And because we stalk one another, I have noticed you reside in Kansas. Right on. Western Kansas to be exact? Even BETTER! I love driving through the Flint Hills (which are more central Kansas) and into the plains... so pretty.

Anywhoo.. hello, from a fellow Kansan! Insert Howard Dean here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwODbl3muE&feature =related

goest wrote on Apr 23rd, 2009 7:10am

GADZOOKS!! Another Kansasn!!! :O

decayingdave wrote on Feb 12th, 2009 5:57pm

Bloody Hell! I thought for a minute you were some sort of remnant of my old band that was called ''Quintessence''... Though I doubt you are.

Seriously though, do you find it difficult to progress musically in a ''Sparse'' place like Kansas? It's a struggle enough to meet anyone musical here in Wales as it is.

Kata Dante wrote on Jan 21st, 2009 4:35pm

Thanks for the friend add. aye, the A team and TMNT are pretty darn awesome. Ah, I see you're from KS too. What fun, what fun.

shruti.aquarius wrote on Aug 15th, 2008 3:38pm

m a student....m 16.....trying to get into studies without any success though.......

how about your song???? how old r u???

_bacon_ wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 10:55pm

Thanks for joining my ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD group. Sig it and I'll promote u.

Xiaoxi wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 6:34am

To be a honest...a good 3 hours on and off, haha. I had nothing better to do though. :P

Xiaoxi wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 9:29pm

Read the following posts from bottom to top

Xiaoxi wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 9:29pm

Finally, I want to recommend a book: This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel Levitin. I'm only able to give you this advice after this book helped me refine my thinking and perspective on music. This book is not only a perfect blend of music and neuroscience, which helps everyone understand the psychology behind liking music, but also has enough music theory and know-how put clearly into layman's terms. It can do nothing but deepen and refine your understanding of music.

Xiaoxi wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 9:29pm

The final technique I have in mind is variation. Variation is an extremely useful technique because it can transform just one idea into a whole piece (if you do it persistently enough). Bach's Chaconne in D minor for solo violin is solely based on just 2 harmonic ideas, one major and one minor. Yet the piece is around 20 minutes long and never once loses captivation. He is able to achieve such breadth by artfully manipulating the ideas to create many many segments, each unique yet retain the thematic harmony. What you should get out of this is that variation is a powerful tool that is also fortunately convenient because it is using an idea that you've already used and creating something new out of it. How liberal you want to twist those ideas is up to you. Also, this is not to say that variations can only be used in large scale. Variation can be used to the smallest degree such as changing a couple of notes in the phrase to the widest extent such as writing the whole piece based on variation.

Xiaoxi wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 9:28pm

The other crucial consideration in particular to developing movements is form. This stands above all else because it is the plan for what the music will go through. A composer uses forms to guide them in deciding what to do next. There are many forms, including sonatas, binary, ternary, rondos, rounds, fugues, song, theme and variation, and more. You don't have to be an expert in knowing the forms, but rather that you have a plan in mind. This plan be developed such that there is always something to refer to (theme). However, knowing established forms can also help in expectation management. For example, a concerto usually start off with a brisk and lively intro by the ensemble. You can violate expectations by starting off with the soloist playing a soft and grave passage alone. Then maybe you can reward the audience's expectations by gradually or even suddenly going into the typical lively ensemble passage.

Xiaoxi wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 9:27pm

Now that we've established this perspective on music, we can now focus more on your specific problem: writer's block. How should you go about writing the next note/phrase/chord/movement/anything? Again, the overarching theme here is meeting and breaking expectations. How do you do that? Well, every aspect of the musical properties described in the last paragraph are malleable. You can shape them however you want. What should you keep constant (meeting) and what should you change (breaking)? That's up to you to decide with each and every new note you write. A general tip is to play around with the theme and quote the theme at various points during the music. It's a classic breaking and meeting technique--some aspects of the theme must stay constant while others should be changed. It refreshes the music without losing the audience's touch.

Xiaoxi wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 9:27pm

The last and overarching point is meeting and breaking expectations. Based on schema and what has already occurred in the music, we subconsciously know what will come next (expectation). If the composer satisfied all expectations, the music would be extremely boring because it's too predictable and we can deduct every nuance. On the other hand, if the composer met no expectations, we'd feel bewildered and the music too esoteric. Thus, a good piece of music is crafted by the skillful handling of violating and meeting expectations set by the music, which will invoke an interesting and rewarding listening experience.

Xiaoxi wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 9:27pm

Now, with this list in mind, we can start talking about composing in a broad sense (no theory here). First, think of each of these as a separate dimension and separate potential for musical appreciation. This means if one wrote a melodically bland tune but ingeniously played around with rhythm or form or dynamics, listeners can still enjoy the song. Second, acknowledge the schema of your work and intended direction. Schema is the rules, conventions, and values of each style of music. It's what allows us to distinguish one style from another, and it's also how we determine what we like and what we don't. Should you stay faithful to a schema or should you experiment or create new ones?

Xiaoxi wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 9:26pm

Well, let me start off by listing the components of music: form, timbre, pitch, contour, melody, harmony, rhythm, and dynamics. Let me know if you have questions on any of those.

shruti.aquarius wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 7:59am

hey...how r u?

BlueAltitudes wrote on Jul 7th, 2008 2:15pm

Thanks for the compliment, and right back at ya.

Xiaoxi wrote on Jun 16th, 2008 6:45am

Posting from my new house...:)

I'm just going to China to chill for a month with my dad and extended family. It's gonna be tight. Good food...and I'm finally going to have no distractions from studying music (finally gonna break open that Beethoven 5-7th symphony scorebook that I bought almost half a year ago). :)

What are your plans for summer?

And as for orchestra generators, I haven't personally used but I hear that the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra is a very fine sampling library. Check it out: http://www.soundsonline.com/EW-QL-Symphonic-Orches tra-Platinum-pr-EW-155.html

1 2 read next