Phil Starr

Phil Starr's Profile Comments

art&fender wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 2:37pm

Great article about PA but Yorkville makes great PA as well. I dont think I saw any mention of those

guitardWARf wrote on Feb 2nd, 2011 6:51pm

helllo,

If got a question for you recently i built my own tubescreamer. I did so using a breadboard. The unit works fine but I'm getting hum from it. I was wondering is this due to the fact that it's built on a breadboard or that its no encased. Also I used non shielded wire to make connections on the breadboard maybe this is a factor? I dont think I've got any grounding issues though and the IC and Transistors were new. I also had to use one carbon resistor of 10K. I hope you can help me out a little.
Kind regards

ryan 93 wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 1:02am

what do you use to record i must know

Ace Carson wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 4:12pm

Hey, those are great records here! I liked the songs very much.

The only thing I found strange is the way the drums are mixed in - way too dry and trebly for me and I'd put them a little more backwards and slighly closer to the center of the stereo picture. But that can be just my opinion.

P.S. I don't believe Summer in the city to be your original song ;)

firebirdg wrote on Nov 7th, 2009 6:53pm

Thanks for your help!

firebirdg wrote on Nov 4th, 2009 10:59pm

hey man, I read your lessons about PA. I liked it a lot, but the problem for me is that we aren't a band like, with a lot of resources to spend on audio and all that kind of stuff, we're just friends who like to get together, though we were invited to play in school. The times we've rehearsed, it's like we can't get things to sound right, drums are to loud, so we have to make guitar louder if we want to hear each other, and so the singer doesn't sound at all, just like the bassist.
So I just wanted to ask if you had any kind of advice, other than monitors, cause we don't really have the money for those, and we aren't much of sound engineer.
Thanks anyway

cowdery.guitar wrote on Nov 4th, 2009 3:44am

this is a question i had on your article "This article may save your life"

I'm just curious, and please note im not being a smartass, im just not as smart as you; If you put your backline and PA into the same socket, wont their be a chance of blowing a fuse or something? I had a scenario like that except with Spotlights (where i put 2 in the same outlet) and it blew out the lights/electricity in a portion of my middle schools auditorium.

IYanoplathizoI wrote on Aug 14th, 2009 11:45am

Hi Phil!

I came across some of your extremely well informed posts when searching for info on building a closed 212 cabinet. Please do not go to any trouble but if you have any measurements available suitable for housing a G12K-100 and a v30 then is there any way that I could get my hands on them?

Thanks!

Yano

Shinozoku wrote on Jul 7th, 2009 11:46pm

Phil Starr wrote on Jul 6th, 2009 at 6:33pm :
Sorry about the delay. Stupidly I've never checked my profile and found a dozen comments. If you want to match the cab then you have to use identical drive units as they are matched to a particular volume. Modes are not really aproblem with instrument cabs they are only really a problem with hi fi speakers and top quality PA
Thanks for the reply :)
I wonder why everyone is so uptight about modes when building guitar cabs, then... Hmm...

Thanks for the info about volume, though :) That will help a TON!

Mr.LeadGuitar wrote on May 21st, 2009 12:30am

Also, i seem to remember that name in a guitar world article. did you write one about PA's or gigging about 8 months ago?

Mr.LeadGuitar wrote on May 21st, 2009 12:29am

Alrighty. I know you specialize in cabinets and such, but i'm having a bit of an issue and asking someone with experience might help:

I have, as a current count, 7 pedals (wah, distortion (set to crunch), mega distortion (main distortion. i dont use amp distortion), chorus, tremelo, phaser, and DD-20 giga delay. My two questions are this: 1. what order should they go in to get the best sound, and 2. how should I make a good pedal board for these? What materials, what should it include, etc (i'd want buying one to be a last resort thing, since wood, carpet, and metal are more than available to me).

As help, i have a daisy chain (8 pedals) and a Raven RG200 2x12 solid state amp with an effects loop. what should I do?

Darknives wrote on May 20th, 2009 5:47pm

thks for the post, I've read your article, I'm still a little confused but, I got the general idea. thks really, and your "shock" article, very cool and important, I had no idea. I had already got some shocks just from playing in my home, because of the amp being in a bad position. Never figured it could be fatal. it was a real eye opener. hope you continue to bring new interesting articles.
the best for you, good luck with your bass playing

Shinozoku wrote on May 19th, 2009 6:16pm

You're obviously a god at instrument cabinet making :p:

So I figured I'd come to you with my question.

I want to make a 2x12 cab (much like the guy whose thread you recently posted in), but I want to replicate a Framus Cobra cabinet as closely as possible. The Framus 2x12 cab has the same width and half the height of the 4x12 cabs, but the depth is equivalent to the depth of the top of a slanted cab (where it's shallower than the bottom, thus providing a brighter sound).

Would I run into problems (like modes) with these- dimensions in the cabinet (in cm)?: 74w, 37h, 36d?

DeathByDestroyr wrote on May 18th, 2009 9:07pm

sorry for the bother, but might as well jump in the bandwagon

i am building a 212 cabinet to go with my peavey. i am playing technical death metal so tight lows, and clear highs, along with that whole mid-high area, are critical for me, so i was thinking a bit of a bigger cab is in order

i will be using Eminence Wizards, http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp? model=THEWIZARD&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=4

any help much appreciated

ScottB. wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 5:51pm

Hey I have a question about speakers, how tightly should they be screwed in? I read somewhere that if you screw them in too tight it is bad for them?

fatgoogle wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 8:08pm

Hi, again, i was wondering lets say i am going with those, fane's the 425 ones, and tweeter, maybe also acrossover horn, would you be able to draw me up some measure ments. I understand if this is too much hassile on your part, but if you could that would be great. Thanks Sam

jb_reborn wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 5:52pm

Hi, i saw your article on cabs.
Ive got a very small problem. id like to buy a 2x10" + 1x15" cabinet, but the overall resistence of the cab is 4 ohms rather than the 8 ohms i need (each speaker is 8 ohms). I cant work out a way to wire it so that the overal impendence is 8 ohms.
Would wiring the 2x10"s in parallel, and then wiring the 15" paralel to the 2x10"s work?

------10-----
------- --------------
| -------10----- |
| |
--------15------------

something like that? ^
but wouldnt that be the same as connecting all three of them in paralel making the total impendence 2.6666 ohms?

sorry to disturbe you. and thanks alot!!

fatgoogle wrote on Feb 8th, 2009 10:57am

Hi there phil. I would indeed be very interested in your help on this cab im hoping to build. So what is exactly needed. Do things like having speaker over each other or at an angle make a huge amoint of difference. What else do i need to know. Im slowly researching and taking in bits and bobs. Thanks Sam