Perfection 101

Perfection 101's Profile Comments

thundertwat wrote on Aug 3rd, 2011 11:30pm

Hey, just passing through and slightly random question how are you finding your computer science course? And also if you did decisions mathematics at A level, to what extent is the course based on it? I was considering doing computer science next year but I hated the decisions modules I did this year and it put me off a bit. Not sure what to think really, anyway sorry about all this! Could just really do with some advice.
Also we have the same birthday :p

Alice637 wrote on Jul 14th, 2011 12:10am

Perfection 101 wrote on Jun 19th, 2011 at 11:56am :
Damn, I really don't have anything worth saying, but I wouldn't wanna be rude... Why do you do this to innocent profile lurkers!?

it's the challenge that intrigues people! :p

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 12:01am

Perfection 101 wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:54pm :
I've gotta say, I'm somewhat disappoint by the lack of James Earl Jones in your plan. Still, I suppose efficiency wins over style
If he was so adamant about maintaining his highness before, why's he just going along with this new song so readily? Were cookies involved? In any case, congratulations on the successful initiation

Also, commiserations on not being considered sexy by UG. But on the plus side, judging by your scores, Your Life Is Average

Gotta save the James Earl Jones for desperate times. We've got to save him until we've got a gig and Ed's just not prepared. Because I figure it's a one time works kind of thing. I think the reason he went for the song is so that he can brush up on his Russian, so he can impress people with his vast "I'm a Russian major" knowledge.
Hell, I was happy getting a couple ratings higher than a 5. So it's not that big of a loss :p

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 1:53am

First update:
Vocalist showed up 2 hours late, but still before the drummer.
I've got him out of hiding.
He's working on a song that could possibly take his range down an octave, simply by absorption.
Mission is successfully underway.

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 21st, 2010 6:51pm

Perfection 101 wrote on Feb 20th, 2010 at 7:40pm :
Well, that would assume he doesn't go into hiding in anticipation of the practice. Which, given what you've told me before, doesn't seem entirely improbably. Also,
I do believe that is now my favourite summary of the life of a brass musician
I suppose all the screaming at the moment they lose an eye could do some permanent throat damage, or some such?

Oh, he'll go into hiding, insisting that he "just woke up." Liesssss. It all makes sense now...
"We've been at your house for an hour. We've been practicing. WE'VE
BOUGHT COOKIES. Wtf have you been doing?"
"Hahaha, I dunno."
He's trying to protect himself. That bastard!
And you know, I never thought of the throat damage it might cause... But it won't hurt a good 30 or 40 times, right?

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 20th, 2010 7:36pm

Seeing as we're about to have a practice this week, expect the first update to be sometime soon :p And true, they don't need to see, damn it, they just need to go PFFTPFFTPFFT and make decent sounds out of it. Of course knowing some of them, their eyes would impair their mouth >.> I'm not sure how, though...

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 9:13pm

And who said anything about him going for it, I'm talking about a full-on kidnap scenario Or just play Star Wars/Lion King to him in his sleep, if you don't have enough duct tape. I'm thrilled to finally come up with a good idea, just please don't hold me accountable if one of them loses an eye.[/quote]
Well, "explode" was written on with permanent marker, presumably by a drunk college-goer, but with exceptional handwriting given the situation. But it only seemed too perfect to me. If it was way the actual sign was, I'd say the local signputteruppers are trollin' bad, and it just wouldn't be as inspirational to me. :D

Well, THAT isn't too terrible an idea at all. He has a tendency to still be sleeping when we arrive to practice anyway. And normally we complain about it, but now we can turn it into an opportunity. And standing at a certain behind them, aiming for the back of the head, won't put eyes out. Problem solved, good idea is good.

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 12:00am

Sad thing is, that sounded like an incredible idea, in a kind of worst-pun-ever kind of way. Mine is a concept album based on the plot of the movie version of Battle Royale, which might be difficult because it's an instrumental >.> The album cover and title is a picture of a sign in my town that says "Watch Children Explode". I'm pretty sure there's already too much thought put into it.

As tempting as all hell that is, I don't think he'd go for it. He'd probably inhale helium in spite of us all. And it's not that the brass players are untalented, they just like to hold their own little conversations in the middle of songs. So throwing stuff, in that case, is not only feasible, but an excellent idea :D

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 8:58pm

Yeahhh, it's a solo thing. More of like... this weird idea I had in the very early hours of the morning one day. I've come up with a an album cover, song titles, and an overall concept. The big thing here isn't coming up with the music itself. It's more getting the equipment to do it. AKA not my computer microphone :p
It's not that my vocalist is bad, per se. It's just that... he's got a... uh... higher vocal register than you'd expect. Which is alright for some things, our covers have gone over fairly well, but ska tends to be raspier and in some cases, really low. I write stuff meant to be in my own vocal register, and seeing as I'm the only one that's come up with ANY vocal melodies, he's just gonna have to adapt. Live, he's alright. There, the issue lies in our brass players >.<

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 2:36am

Perfection 101 wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 7:38pm :
Good point. If it's something you enjoy doing, you may as well keep doing it until some limiting factor turns up. I had similar experiences with (what passed for) my former band; we actually had quite a lot of stuff written individually, but we never got around to actually getting together and writing some full songs (even though we saw each other almost every day). But if you have so much trouble with lyrics, have you ever considered going instrumental?

Oh I've got some instrumental ideas lined up, as well as some work with my band. But I want to stick to the ska as much as possible. Instrumental ska is rare. Would be fun though, I won't lie. And it would be something my vocalist could actually sing :p

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 1:29am

Perfection 101 wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 8:20am :
Man, I'm glad that was an isolated incident. Otherwise, it'd almost put my chav-infested town to shame, and we can't have that

I'm glad you're open to non-performance jobs, since they're generally much more reliable. And if writing is a serious possibility for the future, I'd say continuing your reviews for as long as possible will definitely help, even if you're not getting paid.
You just have to make sure you don't give the impression of some sort of literary slut who'll do anything for free

Ohh we had our share of assholes, believe me.

And yeah, I mean as long it's music I'll be happy. I'll continue being in my band, but I guarantee we won't go that far, seeing as we just finished writing our first set of lyrics, and we've been around for a year. Our merch will probably go further than we will :p I plan on continuing writing for at least a while. It's also a pretty good outlet for me, anyway, you know?

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 4:43am

lawl. We had an isolated incident of someone hitting someone with a car, because the bitch lost a fight. Then she got pulled out of the car and got the shit beat out of her again.

Well, I mean, I'd like to pursue something music-related, whether it's writing, producing, or performing. So I mean, at the VERY least it'll show that I've got enough interest to stick with it. That, and once I get a real job, I can continue doing the writing as I please.

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 16th, 2010 8:22pm

Perfection 101 wrote on Feb 15th, 2010 at 5:24pm :
You're lucky your soul was the only thing you had to be worried about, I was seriously concerned about contracting one of many diseases while I was at school XD

I think you should've pushed for a cash incentive to begin with, personally. Although that would probably mean they'd have fired you when they went downhill, but you still would've had more money

Oh we had diseases too. I have no idea what the couch in our drama room consisted of, but I think it was some kind of crazy STD ridden nightmare. We also ran the risk of getting hit by cars. Fun stuff.

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't have been that bad of an idea. But I mean, it might look good in the long run. Plus it's getting my review blog enough publicity that I'm getting PR people talking to ME, instead of going through another site. It's not too bad.

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 15th, 2010 11:06pm

Perfection 101 wrote on Feb 15th, 2010 at 4:57pm :
As long as you keep it firm in your mind that you're leaving as soon as you can afford it, I don't think there's any real chance of losing your soul to the job.

Judging by your blogs, you're a bloody good writer; how did you manage to get conned into not being paid for it?

Yeah, I've got to embrace the amount of soul that I've got left after high school xD
And thanks :p When I started in September, they were giving out small incentives, which I was cool with, given the fact that I was also getting free music out of the deal. I'm still getting the music, but the base site has since gone downhill, financially.

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 15th, 2010 10:46pm

Perfection 101 wrote on Feb 15th, 2010 at 4:32pm :
Grrr... UG seems to have devoured my well-thought-out reply

To summarise: Beach + acoustic = profit, but not in February
That job seems like a reasonable means to an end, I'd suggest taking it as a short-ish term thing. Probably a good resume-booster

Awwww, I hate that. :(
Yeah, that's what I figure. I don't want live the hellish inhuman existence of a CS rep forever. But it'll help, I mean right now, all I've got on my resume is an unpaid writing gig that I'm still doing. Which has done NO good atm.

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 15th, 2010 10:10pm

Yeah, I think I'll do that next time I go to the beach or something, I mean, there are boardwalks and stuff, I've looked into one place, and even though it requires a busking license, it's not expensive at all. I was just informed that a guy my dad knows works for a company looking for some people. So I mean, I don't want to do customer service, but that "un-want" isn't outweighing my want to move out :shrug:

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 14th, 2010 11:57pm

Perfection 101 wrote on Feb 14th, 2010 at 2:15pm :
And if you put on a little light show as well as the mic, you probably could've convinced them they were having a genuine Religious Experience. I'm so sorry you missed out on that chance
And I hear that busking is actually pretty good money, if you've got a reasonable voice and a busy area. I'd probably do it myself, if I didn't have the minor inconvenience of being tone mute

It's sad, because I had a whole list of ideas lined up, which included, but are not limited to the said "I AM GOD" thing, and my necessary rickroll, which was also something I did in school shows and countless other things, which would be easy to come up with, given the huge likelihood of fundies. Possibly resulting in getting fired, but it would very much end up being worth it.
You've got to admit though, even with those "inconveniences" it'd still be fun to do. Around here there aren't a lot of places to go to busk. I'd get a "Shut the fuck up!" fine.

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 14th, 2010 8:04pm

Perfection 101 wrote on Feb 14th, 2010 at 1:58pm :
Grrr... There should be some form of legal requirement to let you know one way or the other. But what the hell would you have been doing to get so much for so little time? And good luck with the merch. But if it doesn't happen, there's always busking

I'd've been doing sound for a church. Aka, probably sleeping. The occasional fader tweak. Stifling my own desires to get a wireless microphone hooked into the system to say "I AM GOD, BOW BEFORE ME" like I did at my high school.
Hey, money's money. And I don't mind playing acoustic all day. Hell, if I could find a place with decent traffic, I'd enjoy it.

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 14th, 2010 7:47pm

DUDE. There's one place that I'm CONVINCED is avoiding me as well. Bitches. They ask for my resume, then they say nothing more. That was going to be a really good part-time too. Like, $200 for 4 hours of work a week. :sad:
But I'm really hoping the design thing goes through, I sent him links to my best stuff, but they're actively looking for a merch manager at the moment. Who, once they find one, should contact me. Fingers crossed.

sadSTATUE wrote on Feb 14th, 2010 6:09pm

Perfection 101 wrote on Feb 14th, 2010 at 9:57am :
Chilling, you say? Yeah, I think I can vaguely remember what that is
I've just been stupidly busy with various assignments and my growing hatred of all things mathematical. Well, I say busy... Really I just spend 6 days a week procrastinating then end up trying to do 3 assignments on Sunday evening. But those 6 days don't really count as chilling, since I'm constantly thinking "I really should start working" before reading a new thread. But APART from all that, life's not too bad

Any news on those potential jobs you mentioned before?

:haha: Procrastination is an art, my friend. And it would seem to me like you're quite the expert :p

Well, two of my potential jobs completely BAILED on me. I just got an email on one site saying my application has now expired.... aaaand I'm talking to a guy about maybe doing some merch design for his band, but that's all up in the air at this point. :shrug:

1 2 3 4 read next