Metal Turtle

Metal Turtle's Profile Comments

JB95 wrote on Mar 25th, 2014 11:27pm

Yes I have heared it! Good sign of that Metallica is back on track with the thrash.
Even though it's not one of their strongest songs in my opinion; it's awesome.
What do you think about it? An improvement from Lulu at least, haha!

JB95 wrote on Oct 26th, 2013 10:32pm

Oh man, it's awesome! I'm loving the intro and the heavy parts as well. And the tight riffing is sweet!
But since you said it's the final mix, where is the vocals? I think you told me earlier that there is going to be a vocalist in this project too?

JB95 wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 6:16pm

The demo sounds really promising and I can't wait to hear the end result!
I bet it's gonna be awesome.

The studio sessions will continue for my band regardless of the gig, since we're stikcing to a old and safe setlist which we already know too well. The drummer (who is essential for a proper rehearsal) wont be coming back before the gig anyways, so I suppose it was the only option haha

JB95 wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 11:07pm

Your project sounds pretty rad! If you can nail the "and justice" tone, I bet you can also get that sound you are going for this time.
Send me a link as soon as you have a video or a sound file uploaded!

My band also got filmed at our last gig as well as our sound recorded, so you might see a live video performance at YouTube soon! I got to warn you about a bit over-the-top live show by the vocalist and the bassist who went a bit nuts haha.
Lots of friends showed up (even our english teacher!) and we got great feedback afterwards. As a member of one of the bands playing that night, I got beer for half the price as well. awesome.
Shortly afterwards we were offered a gig 1.st november (even though we thought we came to an agreement on staying in studio and reject all non-important offers) and we decided to go for it. The release of the next song will be slightly delayed because of that.

JB95 wrote on Sep 29th, 2013 2:03pm

It's all good! Just played a gig yesterday and it went pretty well! We (the band) were very lucky to have our drummer over at our area for the weekend since he's usually at school far away from where the rest of the band is. Even though we have been offered more gigs we consider focusing on studio and getting an album out. We are in fact working on a new song at the moment and it sounds pretty rad production-wise (and musically too, I hope!) so we're really excited! It's written on a 7-string and the song structure is completely unlike anything we've ever tried before.

Enough about me now, so how are you doing?

OhSoInsane wrote on Sep 13th, 2013 12:02am

Hey man, sorry for late C4C, was away on vacation for the past 4 months

Reviewing as I go: good riffs, I think the mix could sound better though, everything sounds quite thin. Is that battery I hear at 2:00? :P. Very much metallica influence throughout the whole song, but work on some choruses that are addictive and melodic and you'll be golden. Also, write a vocal melody for it

JB95 wrote on Jan 6th, 2013 2:59am

rest of the comment haha:

I learnt most of what I know through internet and playing with bands and other musicians. Been to lessons once, but it didn't really pay off for me at that time. Maybe I should find a teacher, since I'm worried about my picking technique haha.

Good luck on your musical journey by the way!

JB95 wrote on Jan 6th, 2013 2:58am

Working with other musicians is very important step to progress as a guitar player and songwriter. Listening to lots of genres and not only the one you wish to play. I put together elements from electronic and blues and rock into our metal songs, and without it I'd be all out of inspiration and ideas.
I play in two bands, and hearing what they think at the rehearsals helps as well. We are playing at gigs every now and then, and get to meet new musicians there.

And about us having three guitaist; haven't you heared of Iron Maiden?? They are the most famous I can think of, but Periphery and Radiohead etc. has a guitar trio too. It allows us to recreate what we do in studio without backing track, and also gives us powerful sound live. Female bassists are here and there, but they such small hands so it's odd that they want to pick the bass which have wider frets than guitars.

JB95 wrote on Jan 1st, 2013 3:28am

Got a little carried away with the writing, but I hope you got the idea!

JB95 wrote on Jan 1st, 2013 3:28am

Part 3
It is indeed nice to be in charge of the writing, but I think I got to explain how it really works. Whenever I come up with an idea, I ask everyone in the band for their opinion. They're welcome come up with ideas for the song, but during the writing of "TSOG" all my riffs on the end result was accepted. If the other came up with something everyone agreed to be better then we would use that instead/too. Democracy is important in a band. True justice doesn't mean that everyone must have equally much of their ideas in their songs, but that the writer gets everyone's concent to have the idea in the song.
Lately my other guitarist and I have been arguing a bit over having a solo in our song or not, and we'll vote during our next rehearsal, so that's how we deal with disagreement. I haven't experienced real conflict in the band yet. At least not related to the songwriting. Me taking care of the majority of the songwriting seem to be positive to the other bandmembers.
Hope I answered your question

JB95 wrote on Jan 1st, 2013 3:25am

Part 2 of the comment:

What all the members of my band has agreed upon is that bringing an old riff to a new song is almost never a good idea. Building upon an already existing idea usually works alot better, since it will be designed to fit to the feel of the riff. So if you think you got a sweet riff in your head, don't put it into a new song that was written without connection to the sweet riff. You should rather make a song based on the sweet riff.

JB95 wrote on Jan 1st, 2013 3:25am

Part 1 of comment:

Well, several ideas had been in the back of my mind for a while. Some of them simply sounded natural and fitting in the song, yet the verse is very unusual. Verses are the hardest to write in my opinion, but I think I managed to pull off something nice with the key change from Em to F#m in the song. Several ideas for the sections was considered before the final result.
Even a key change down a whole step plus a transition to 4/4 was experimented with haha. But everything evolved from the harmonic guitar part in the chorus. Everything except the verse and breakdown is very similar, and that is no coincidence. I did it to glue the song more together, but still have some different riffs to add variation. The Breakdown riff was actually a mistake, since I played unintentionally the notes in wrong order, but it ended ut being the riff I'm most satisfied with yet. When I wrote it I just wanted much power and concentrate to land the important notes on the important beats.

JB95 wrote on Dec 30th, 2012 2:50pm

Not sure of what you mean by "part" but I'm one of three guitarists in the band. I'm taking care of most of the songwriting. On "Thousand Shards of Glass" I wrote all the riffs and all harmonies. The basslines was my work as well, and I did in fact play the bass in studio. I even wrote many of the drum beats, but that was only suggestions, since our drummer is perfectly capable of coming up with cool stuff.
I didn't take any part in the lyrical side though, but I wanted my bassist (female singer as well) to take a bigger part in the song. Our vocalist had a different idea in mind so it didn't end up like I wanted.

It's gonna be different on our upcoming song. It was already half way done in the writing process when I joined the band early this year, so the all the members in the band has taken part in the writing much more than in our first demo.