MaggaraMarine

MaggaraMarine's Profile Comments

Kurt1964 wrote on Jun 3rd, 2014 1:59am

MaggaraMarine wrote on Jun 2nd, 2014 at 12:25pm :
I saw you rating my tabs. Thanks!
Feel free to throw some rates my way!

Dave_Mc wrote on May 31st, 2014 9:16pm

Thanks :)

Yeah I was wondering if the A5 was just a passing tone, as you said.

And yeah the bass (and even the guitar) does play the low D a lot :haha

Thanks again for your help :)

Dave_Mc wrote on May 29th, 2014 10:00pm

Dang it, I mean bIII instead of III. For Ratt.

Dave_Mc wrote on May 29th, 2014 9:27pm

Also I looked at freefalling by tom petty and it just seems to be F, Fsus4, F, Csus4, which to me seems to be just I V (or I IV I V if the Fsus4 actually implies the IV chord). Right?

Thanks for your help, and sorry to bother you. I just know I tend to get the wrong end of the stick when it comes to theory and I don't want to be spreading incorrect info around. :)

Dave_Mc wrote on May 29th, 2014 9:27pm

Next bit is where I come unstuck. Two power chord (shapes) come next, which seem to be an A5 followed by a Bb5. That would be V and bVI (they sound major to me, but I could be wrong). However, to my ears you could also consider those chords to be an inversion of E and F sus 4 chords (with the fourth in the bass) which would result in a II III progression.

If I play the thing through using full chords i.e. play D major for the first bit, and then A and Bb, versus playing it through with D major followed by E and F, to my ears using the E and F (i.e. II III, not V bVI) sounds more "correct". That might just be because the E and F notes are higher and draw your ear to them, though, I admit I'm near enough 50:50 on it and either sounds more or less "right".

Then it finishes on an inversion of C (so b VII). Not all tabs I've seen tab the inversion, but it sounds like one to me. And then goes back to the root chord, D.

TL;DNR: Is Lay it Down by Ratt's riff I, V bVI bVII or I, II, III bVII?

Dave_Mc wrote on May 29th, 2014 9:26pm

Hi :)

I didn't want to ask this in the MT forum because I don't think there's a quick questions thread (and I didn't want to embarrass myself :haha ).

Lay it down (yay :D ) by Ratt came up in the WTLT thread in G G&A- one of the regulars said the first bit of the riff was a bit like freefallin' by tom petty (the whole dsus2/dsus4 twiddly thing).

I said "yeah possibly, but I imagine it's a different chord progression as it sounds a lot different".

So I figured I'd try to analyse what was happening in the riff. Bad idea :haha

Far as I can tell it seems to be in D major (but with a lot of borrowed chords from minor). The first bit just fluctuates between D, Dsus4 and Dsus2. That's easy enough, that's just the I chord (I suppose the sus4 and sus2 might imply IV and II, but either way, I think I'm ok on that... assuming I'm right, which I'm probably not :haha ).

Shadowraen wrote on Feb 5th, 2013 5:38am

hey I followed this advice of yours in my thread:

"If it was used, it sounds more like it is the pickup selector. Epiphone guitars have crappy pickup selectors, you might want to look how yours is like. The pickup selector might have contact problems. There are those metal pieces that should touch the selector. You need to bend the two pieces closer to each other. You see it in the picture. This worked for me when I had similar problem.

I'm not sure if this is your problem. You might also want to clean the pickup selector."

I took the selector out and cleaned it, but now I have a pretty severe buzz, especially with high gain, that gets quieter when I touch the strings, but louder when I touch the pickup selector. Could you offer some advice? This issue is worse than the treble thing I was trying to fix originally to be honest.

SGT. WARNING wrote on Oct 13th, 2012 8:33pm

Thank you for the listen, 5 star rating, and comment on
"Tapered-------------------berryperfume"
Glad the title didn't scare you away.
Thanks dude, always appreciated.

Ometh wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 10:40pm

I saw you lurk ;)

thechaostheory wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 4:38pm

MaggaraMarine wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 10:22am :
Yes, I like Hendrix's music and playing style. The name kind of referred to the purple t-shirts we were wearing. The band leader just said that the name could include "purple" and "Purple Haze" was the first thing that came to my mind.

That's pretty cool. You should do a cover of Purple Haze sometime!

thechaostheory wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 4:17pm

MaggaraMarine wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 10:14am :
Thanks. This is from our music camp jazz band jams. The band was called "Purple Haze," my name idea of course. I play the second trumpet solo. There are three trumpets, flute, marimba, bass synth (the band leader), drums and percussion. I haven't really improvised on trumpet before so my solos on these recordings are not mind blowing.

Well, I found it to be pretty good regardless. Guessing you're a Hendrix fan?

thechaostheory wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 9:05pm

MaggaraMarine wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 1:54pm :
Do you use a metronome? I think Audacity has a click track. It's pretty important if we want to do overdubs.

BTW what amp are you using?

I'll make sure I start using one. I use a Traynor 15watt amp, and a Darelectro chorus and overdrive, Crybaby 535q wah-wah, MXR Distortion +, and a Banshee talkbox.

thechaostheory wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 7:51pm

MaggaraMarine wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 1:46pm :
I think Cubase is not free unless you have bought a Digitech RP pedal or some other kind of product that includes it.

What about drums and bass? Do you have a bass guitar and how do you record drums? I make a midi file that I convert into mp3 or then I use a Cubase instrument. And I record bass tracks of course because I have a bass guitar.

Defiantly not free :/ $99... For the lowest. I don't happen to own a drum set (I just play them in a school band), so I don't normally include them, or I use Finale to program a beat and export it as an mp3 to send to Audacity. For the bass, I run that through the PA with a chorus effect normally. Then I just crank the system and put the mic about 6 feet away from the speakers.

thechaostheory wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 7:40pm

MaggaraMarine wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 12:08pm :
That would be cool! Do you have Cubase? I mean, Audacity is just fine but I'm used to recording with Cubase. What recording equipment do you have? I'm going to send you my email address so send me yours with Private Message.

I've never heard of Cubase before. I'll look into it sometime. I have a Yeti studio mic and I run that direct to audacity on my computer. I normally just put the mic near the amp, or for vocals I'll sing right into it. I have a PA, but I don't like using it for recording :/

thechaostheory wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 5:42pm

MaggaraMarine wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 3:44am :
Recording collaboration... Sounds interesting. If I have time then maybe. I mean, how would it work? Do you have some ideas?

Collaboration: Do you have Audacity or anything like that? And I was thinking, we pick a key, write some riffs, chord progressions, ect. and send them to each other. Then the other person will start to add to them and we continue till a song is written ;p Just something I felt like trying. I have some stuff in Cm, and some in Am that I'll get recorded soon. If you have the time, it could be pretty fun (hopefully).

thechaostheory wrote on Aug 9th, 2012 9:31pm

MaggaraMarine wrote on Aug 9th, 2012 at 3:04pm :
thechaostheory wrote on Aug 9th, 2012 at 12:00am :Really like this! Not really shredding though (which is cool with me cuz I like there to actually be melodic soloing in music over just really fast playing). Really like the tone. Great playing! Rock on \m/. .\m/
Thanks for the comment.

Yeah, I have found some useful sounds with my RP355 pedal. Good for recording, not that good for just playing.

Oh, and I also play trumpet.

Haha! No problem. Your stuff is good!!! I'm guessing that your pedal is a multi effects? I'd look forward to something on the trumpet! I'm not that great at it, just learning it. Way better at Saxophone! Did you check out Night? I'm sure you'll like that if you play a concert instrument!

SGT. WARNING wrote on Apr 3rd, 2012 2:21am

:headbang:

dsss guitars wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 6:05pm

Evening.......Just Passin...........

SGT. WARNING wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 8:27pm

My drums are programmed or cut and paste, I add crash cymbals here and there to try to make them sound more authentic, but they just cant compare to a real drum set.....wish I had one. Panning "like mixing" is an art form in its self. Its hard to pan preset stereo effects because they are already panned to fit there own stereo sound and not necessarily to the song you are creating. Some times when I need to pan a preset stereo sound "say a guitar part" I will record the part on 3 stereo tracks "instead of only one". I pan one stereo track all the way left another stereo track all the way right and the last stereo track I pan just off center depending on the pan placement and adjusted volume settings. I use this 3 track gig so I can pan a stereo sound without loosing the stereo....If that makes sense.

SGT. WARNING wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 5:26pm

I forgot to add this in my reply to funky jam.....
"Pretty good for playing all the parts too....

1 2 3 read next