Life Is Brutal

Life Is Brutal's Profile Comments

NirvanaLuvr16 wrote on May 6th, 2013 12:43pm

Hi, you seem like a nice person. Also, cool profile pic.

amonamarthmetal wrote on Nov 6th, 2012 6:21pm

Upload some new tunes (in T&C) its been quite a while. have you had writers block or something? I'd like to see how your writing has progressed man.

crazysam23_Atax wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 1:46am

Thanks for the accept!

theogonia777 wrote on Apr 7th, 2012 11:08pm

Life Is Brutal wrote on Apr 7th, 2012 at 4:51pm :
Fuck yeah, the Bassist from Behold... The Arctopus and Dysrhythmia plays for these guys. A definite +1.

Yeah, Colin Marston plays guitar in Krallice. Mick Barr also used to play guitar in the Flying Luttenbachers with Walter Weasel, who is the current drummer for BtA.

theogonia777 wrote on Apr 7th, 2012 8:41pm

Life Is Brutal wrote on Apr 6th, 2012 at 9:12pm :
Who is Mick Barr?

!?

Here's some of his "work" from over the years.

Of course, there is tons of other stuff.

theogonia777 wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 3:04am

do u liek mick barr

Necrolust wrote on Mar 23rd, 2012 12:50am

Yeah, got em fixed now, AND finished my professional studio so my new uploads will be even better (quality wise).. However, 8 bands already booked hours at my studio, I don't know if I'll be able to record any new material of mine :S

theogonia777 wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 12:29am

I was listening to your tunes on Soundcloud, the new ones are really cool.

Necrolust wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 7:55am

Life Is Brutal wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 4:21am :
Is that pic from when they made you reenlist?

Yeah :P It's over now.. I'm going to be a citizen again in 7 days.. Will return to music and to repairing my guitars.. They look like bananas :P

Crazyedd123 wrote on Dec 4th, 2011 9:54pm

[URL]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthre ad.php?p=28368649#post28368649[/URL]
Here you go. It's got the picture of that King Crimson shoop you mentioned.
: peace :

XianXiuHong wrote on Nov 3rd, 2011 12:23am

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 5:37am :
Did you take a listen to it? Any feedback at all is appreciated, even if you rip it apart and expose how terrible it is.

Yeah I had a listen!

Try to keep the notes more connected overall. The Double's meant to flow, think of it like water. At the moment, it sounds more like hail-stones with how each note feels more like an individual unit than part of a phrase. I know your microphone didn't pick up the bass notes very well but after listening to the recording a few times (And trying to listen for the bass), I would like to hear you phrase both the top voice and the bass voice in the work. The audition panel will definitely be looking for that since it's very common for guitarists to phrase just one voice and play the other one purely straight. Other than that, you did pretty ok!

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 21st, 2011 3:22am

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 21st, 2011 at 2:08am :
I think I understand. Do you actually use your thumbnail when playing? I end up using the side of it so having a nail on it is kind of useless...

Nails have grown out a bit more, so I've got them fixed.

Yeah, I use my thumbnail when I play, using the side of your thumb isn't the best way to get a good counterpoint sound and usually means that your right hand position isn't the best it could be. Check out John William's right hand position. I have a bit of an obsession with him but IMO, he has the most complete technique of any guitarist I've ever seen. ;p

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 12:05pm

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 19th, 2011 at 3:39am :
FUUUUUUUUUUU- Filed my fingernails too far so nothing feels right!

Could I get some filing tips? I've heard that palm down, you're supposed to have them "Crest" 2/3rds to the right. Is that correct?

I don't know about 2/3rds to the right. My nails are pretty evenly shaped, there's no slanting crests or anything. Ramping your nails like that makes you more prone to catching on the string.

If you look up the video of John Williams playing Isaac Albeniz's Cordoba, you get a few good shots of his nails. My nails are shaped similarly except for my thumbnail which is a lot longer.

Ideally, you'll want the white part of your nail to follow through nicely without any catching...it's sort of like the entire nail is in an oval shape and extends not too far out from your fingertip. It's hard to explain ;/

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 7:32am

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 at 1:53pm :
I was actually thinking of posting some. I'll do them when I have them down well enough, and when I have some quiet time.

Also, I'm looking at all my shitty recordings now, and wondering how I ever thought they sounded decent. I think Im just going to clear all of them and start from scratch.

Except for the originals, those would be hard to redo exactly, even though they aren't great. :

Ah cool, looking forward to hearing it! :) Drop me a post when they're up!

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 3:52am

*of your playing anytime. Soz, grammar

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 3:52am

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 at 12:16pm :
Ha, Segovia was great but there are definite reasons that some may not like him. :

I'll try to avoid the rubato then. I'm hoping that the audition location has good acoustics so it will "Buffer" any possible mistakes I make. XD

BTW, I've got BWV 997 at 99BPM/107BPM, albeit I don't have the entire piece memorized yet. I'm adding a couple bars a day, and emphasizing that I'm playing those correctly before continuing.

And I moved up 10BPM on Lobos, so I'm at 110/140, for picking technique atleast.

That's good, it sounds like you're well on your way to playing a great audition! Will you be posting any clips if your playing anytime?

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 2:43am

I wouldn't do the mini pauses when chord switching. Rubato in areas of difficulty is the sign of a technically deficient musician. The people on the panel will know what the Villa-Lobos study is meant to sound like and they most likely won't like the mini pause since it's unnecessary and may come across as unmusical.

Segovia was known for using rubato in places where his technique wasn't quite up to scratch and it's something lots of guitarists emulate today because that's their idea of 'musicality' but IMHO, it's totally unmusical to shove rubato in a spot where it's technically difficult. It's not only short changing yourself as a player, it also won't necessarily work in all the technical spots.

As an arpeggio study, the Villa-Lobos should have a relentless drive, leaving no room for rubato except for maybe the end.

PS. I'm not a fan of Segovia so I may be a bit biased against him.

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 8:23am

Still, it's not going to stop some people from insisting on some qualities that the performance should have. :haha:

As for the Villa-Lobos, don't worry about speed too much since 100bpm is already a decent tempo to play it at. You'll get it up very quickly too, everyone does! Just focus on getting a musical performance and good tone since that's what will really impress the panel. Majority of first year classical guitar majors try to play faster than they should and end up sounding thin and sloppy. Set yourself apart from them and show the panel you're the kind of guy who knows what his limits for speed are and that you're the kind of guy who has an ear for tone and music :)

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 8:22am

Ah, that's cool. Yeah, I found the same problem with tapping when I took up classical but you can find ways to work around it with your right hand.

I totally agree with you regarding authenticity but it's just something to consider when you play Bach to any audience. The more you delve into the world of classical guitar, the more you'll see musicologists who stress on the importance of 'authentic' performances and style. There are some merits to their arguments regarding what will sound good and what not but it's not necessarily a rule to follow. Of course, you can't ever get an entirely 'authentic' performance since you won't be using the instruments used during the time and also, there aren't any actual recordings of Bach available. Things like tempo markings and dynamic markings are totally different from what they used to be back then. Playing at allegro today could be their allegretto back then, playing at piano today could have been their forte etc etc.

XianXiuHong wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 6:28am

Life Is Brutal wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 at 2:16pm :
I have a question pertaining to the Lobos Etude. The left hand work is fairly straight forward, but what of the right? I haven't tried it yet but should I just utilize my Index and Middle fingers? What is the most economical way to do this?

I'll try it momentarily, but some advice would be nice.

The Barrios piece is quite nice, and I really like the Tarentella piece. I've been looking for a piece with this kind of "Outside" sound, which reminds me a bit of The Las Angeles Guitar Quartet. I'll look into all of these.

The fingering Villa-Lobos intended for the right hand is as follows

P-I-P-I-P-M-I-A-M-A-I-M-P-I-P-I

Good luck and happy practicing :)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 read next