Emenius Sleepus

Emenius Sleepus's Profile Comments

Butt Rayge wrote on Jul 11th, 2012 3:07am

Emenius Sleepus wrote on Jul 9th, 2012 at 2:06pm :
I think I've heard the name, but nothing much other than that. We've got a few jazz clubs in Melbourne I used to go to, now finding time to go is pretty much impossible. Are those jazz gigs just from the locals mostly?

Yeah it's a house band called Jazz Factory. They play a few standards by themselves, then invite muso's up to jam with them, then play a few songs by themselves at the end. Pretty fun. I'd get up and play but I can't play jazz for shit.

Frogfest was a tour of "progressive folk" bands. The Crooked Fiddle band being the most popular among them.

Butt Rayge wrote on Jun 27th, 2012 9:35am

Emenius Sleepus wrote on Jun 26th, 2012 at 4:15pm :
ha, didn't know you were in Newcastle! I used to go up there every now and then a few years ago, as I had a friend who lived there. Did you manage to make it to Evil Invaders at all?
Just moved here this year. An no, I didn't.

I've been regularly attending the Jazz nights at The Great Northern, though, and I've been to a few decent non-metal gigs. Heard of frogfest?

romencer17 wrote on Jun 2nd, 2011 12:36am

shit man i've had both those bands you checked out sitting on my comp for months now but I keep forgetting to get to them. too much new music as always haha

Burning_Angel wrote on May 31st, 2011 10:01pm

Emenius Sleepus wrote on May 30th, 2011 at 7:01pm :
Heh thanks for the kind word! I haven't had a chance to actually give them a listen yet, but they're next on the list; so do you think I should start from the beginning or check out their recent albums first then?

Hmmm I'd say try Phantoms and also Glory to Perdition. Whichever first doesnt matter quite so much. I like all of the albums, but I think The Haunting is probably the worst of the bunch [and to be fair I dont like it near as much as the rest, if only cause of the production].

And heh, no probably man!

Burning_Angel wrote on May 28th, 2011 7:42pm

Emenius Sleepus wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 9:39pm :
Thanks for the heads up I'll see if I can give them some listening over the weekend, at least for the first impressions.

Yeah man while they may not be truly "special" I really really like them. They're just what I want black metal I guess. Lemme know what you think, whether good or bad, I'd like to discuss 'em, especially with someone who's taste is as good as yours [if I may say so].

Burning_Angel wrote on May 26th, 2011 10:47pm

Emenius Sleepus wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 6:07pm :
Fair enough mate; I know a couple of people who even though share a fairly similar taste to mine, really dislike Emperor's music. Each to their own though, of course. Sear Bliss - no, afraid not man, what sort of stuff is it? I have heard the name before, not the actual material itself though.

Yeah. Granted, I do see what people enjoy. The atmosphere, the riffs, the synths, whatever it may be.

And Sear Bliss... Hungarian Black Metal band with touches of doom. Melodic, hugely so. And they incorporate trumpets/trombones! Real ones. And it actually works because it's never overdone and thus, not terribly corny or over the top. Cant really put my finger on anything else, but I love Phantoms and the three most recent records from them.

Burning_Angel wrote on May 25th, 2011 4:46am

Emenius Sleepus wrote on May 23rd, 2011 at 7:44am :
Yeah, I've taken quite an interest in Dore's artwork, especially after re-reading Faust. Even though to my knowledge he never illustrated anything by Goethe (I could be wrong of course), - it still has very similar atmosphere IMO.

Actually, speaking of Emperor, I found further appreciation for them after reading Faust as well. The music made a lot more sense to me in the sense of atmosphere it was trying to achieve

Yeah, I love Dore. His illustrations for Paradise Lost are so great I've always wanted to steal one as an album cover it would fit, you know? :P

And hm, interesting. I plan to read Faust pretty soon actually, among other Goethe works. Perhaps it'll help, but we'll see. Emperor is a bit like Mayhem for me though; just one of the those bands I never liked regardless of what people said. I always stuck to Enslaved, Burzum, Darkthrone and the like. And that's about it really.

And ever hear of Sear Bliss?

romencer17 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2011 6:12am

fasho man thanks for the reccs, I downloaded Psalm 666's full-length and the Pseudogod split with Blaze of Perdition, will check em out soon. You ever listen to Branikald? Pretty sweet russian atmospheric bm

Broadsword wrote on Feb 10th, 2011 4:15am

Emenius Sleepus wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 4:43pm :
Hey mate; how's things? Here's a question; do you listen to Code (or <code> as they're spelled sometimes). Quite an interesting project, I think. Don't know if it's entirely your thing but give em a shot anyway.

Also do you happen to have a last.fm acct?

Never heard of em, but I'll give the band a listen! As for last.fm, nah. I never got onboard the online music listening sites, although I do use it on occasion to find similar bands.

severed-metal wrote on Dec 19th, 2010 4:25am

Thanks for the interview. :cheers:

Just as a little side question, have you listened to Lifelover's Pulver or Erotik yet?

Broadsword wrote on Oct 19th, 2010 2:02am

Hey mate, I dunno if you've heard it yet, but October Tide released a new album. Totally caught me by surprise, last I heard they were inactive. It's sounding pretty nice so far. Tobias from In Mourning does the vocals, and imo he sounds damn great.

romencer17 wrote on Jun 4th, 2010 4:03am

Ah no, I haven't gotten to it yet. Hopefully I'll remember to eventually, but I've been going through a fat list of brutal death recs I got from King, and just downloaded the Gentle Giant discography as well hehe. It's on my list though, along with 13042045812042834 other bands haha

Makkis wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 10:03am

Sorry for the double post. Thought I could edit my previous post but it didn't work for me.

Makkis wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 10:00am

Makkis wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 7:46pm :
Emenius Sleepus wrote on Apr 5th, 2010 at 7:54pm :
greetings sir; been a while since i"ve seen you on the forums. hope all's going well

How's it going? Yeah. It has been a while. Just been busy doing other things. Thought I'd come back and see what was going on on the forums. Hope life's treating you well also

Makkis wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 9:46am

Emenius Sleepus wrote on Apr 5th, 2010 at 7:54pm :

Contraband wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 9:03pm

Thank you, fellow UGer/proponent of Slavonic ideology :)

Contraband wrote on Jan 16th, 2010 10:19pm

Hey, dude. Greetings. I was just wondering if you could recommend me some Slavic bands that are exceptional and use prominent cleans (either exclusively or close to exclusively). It's a bit of a strange motive, but I just wanted to let my dad know that there is some good stuff coming out of the turd of a nation that we left over a decade ago :p:

SammieSings wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 12:18am

Emenius Sleepus wrote on Oct 6th, 2009 at 5:02am :
*waves* how's things? heh if you're still on the site. Hope life's treating ya well
Thanks! you too. *waves back* :D

romencer17 wrote on Oct 10th, 2009 5:20pm

yeh dude i love em

romencer17 wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 10:28pm

yeah they're great. haha only other russian bands I have listened to a lot before is Kino and DDT, which isn't metal at all

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 read next