Dreadnought

Dreadnought's Profile Comments

The Madcap wrote on Dec 12th, 2013 5:25pm

You've reached your message limit, so that's why I couldn't get a message to you.

Anyways, I went more into detail, but I was wondering if you could give me some advice on getting a weekly routine for exercise and diet? The more specific the better. I've been way too lazy this semester (with everything, health, school, guitar playing, etc.) and I want to use the christmas break to get in shape, both physically, musically and just getting out more.

But I don't know anything about fitness, and you're in shape like a motherfucker. All I have access to is a small fitness center at my apartment complex. Just the standard equipment; Treadmills, weights, etc.

Help a bro out?

theogonia777 wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 7:22pm

Dreadnought wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 10:25am :
my favorite being CGCFAE (do not know the chord name for this, moderately complicated)

I'd probably want to call that C6add11 since it has C6 (CEGA) with the 4th (11th) added. If it had a 7th (Bb) it would be a C13. Actually, it has all of the same degrees as Don Helms's famous E6 tuning (1, 3, 4 (11), 5, 6). Steel guitar tunings are sort of weird though because they often have a note or two that are not in the name. For example, the standard Nashville E9 pedal steel tuning has a D#, which is the major 7th, and the standard pedal steel C6 has an F like your tuning.

FM9 would also work I think (FAC is the major triad, E is the M7th, and G is the 2nd (9th)).

theogonia777 wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 1:34am

The problem with non-pedal steel is that there are thousands of different tunings out there, ranging from straight major tunings (usually D, E, G, A) to basic extended tunings like C6, A6, E6/13, and E7 to various diatonic tunings to all kinds of bizarre things.

As a result, many players like to sit down and mess with dozens of different tunings without ever learning more than a tune and a couple of licks in each of them. Knowing your scale shapes and more importantly basic chord voicings and all of their inversions is key to any string instrument, so if you spend all your time switching tunings, you never really get to know any of them.

Though it is very interesting (and efficient as far as time goes) to, rather than learn many tunings, just sit down and put the harmonic possibilities on paper and then try and figure out how to get those sort of voicings and licks on a more familiar or common tuning.

theogonia777 wrote on Aug 31st, 2013 3:18pm

I remember that you were talking about all your "alternative" tunings one time. Can you tell me a bit more about those? As a steel guitar player I'm naturally limited harmonically to whatever the open notes can provide (slants really are generally not practical for anything more than diads), and so I am always interested in new tunings.

Like for example, the standard C6 tuning (CEGACE) provides 3 inversions of the CM and Am triads in the open position as well several inversions of C6 and Am7 (though due to the ordering of strings it focuses more on C6 than Am7).

On the other hand, the tuning can't produce any sort of dominant 7th voicings without slanting or bending the C string (and neither of those are particularly practical), though by omitting the C you still get the 5th, b7th, and root notes of an A7 and so when played over an A7 that can prove effective.

And so the tunings used for non-pedal steel guitar are carefully selected to provide the necessary chords for that particular occasion.

Xiaoxi wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 5:35pm

Dreadnought wrote on Jun 26th, 2012 at 11:07pm :
Hah, thanks, I feel like an idiot now after knowing the answer to my first question. How easy.

I do have an IM, but I'll be out of the country extremely soon so there's no point in me getting it.

For the next few months, are you alright with me asking you any questions on here, if I have any, about Sibelius?

Many thanks!
Of course man. Where you going?

Xiaoxi wrote on Jun 25th, 2012 2:11am

Oh yea all those are very easy to do.

More than one notes (chord): make a note is highlighted (click on it), and then add another note above/below it. If it's not highlighted, it will be written over.

Not sure what you mean in the second question.

Are you on any IM's? It'll be easier to communicate that way. I'm in the middle of moving right now but we can tackle this fully in a few days!

Xiaoxi wrote on Jun 23rd, 2012 8:27am

Dreadnought wrote on Jun 21st, 2012 at 1:25pm :
The Madcap wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:37pm :Well, I don't have either on my computer, but at my school we have Finale. I took a class where they taught me to do the basics on Finale. I know enough to do all the average stuff like slurs, ties, layering etc.

But truth is unless if I'm working on something simple, where it's just one voice or something, I just prefer to handwrite the old fashion way. Layering can become annoying after a while in Finale.

Ah alright then. I asked because I've endeavored to legitimately transcribe some of my pieces, instead of their half-assed powertab versions, and Sibelius has a pretty steep learning curve. Was gonna ask for tipz
Totally evesdropping, but I can give da tipz. Using Sibelius though. I can walk you through it. It's much easier than Finale in the long run, trust me.

The Madcap wrote on Jun 21st, 2012 6:37am

Dreadnought wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 6:35pm :
Do you use either Sibelius or Finale in any of your studies, for composition?

The Madcap wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 7:11am

Dreadnought wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:49pm :
I guess I'll try and do it by ear. There are some pretty clear videos of her playing it. I'm alright at figuring things out by ear as I've had a lot of practice with it, but my teacher is a complete beast with that stuff and can fix a ton of the smallest errors.

The Madcap wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 4:14am

I decided to listen to Xuefei Yang and the "Dance Of The Yi People" track since I've heard you say good things about it.

Shit was awesome. From what I understand, her arrangement isn't published, but I was wondering if you happen to have any sheet music or anything for it?

Draken wrote on May 27th, 2012 7:39pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK2Lx_gSr5k In honour of your new abode sah!

Controlpanel wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 12:10am

the sheild is back..day is better.

Controlpanel wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 9:05pm

Dreadnought wrote on Jan 18th, 2012 at 5:23pm :

I liked the wings you had for a while, and then the sheild was an easy, distinctive way to locate your words of wisdom....Now its just like 300+ other peoples..oh well, I'll live.

Controlpanel wrote on Jan 18th, 2012 11:33pm

you changed your avatar again...:sad:

gabcd86 wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 9:08pm

Dreadnought wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 5:55pm :
1) I know a Whiskey Sour as bourbon (or other whiskey), lemon juice, and sugar. I'm not sure of the ratios, but those are the three main ingredients. I know I've seen some variations here and there.

2) Generally, a shot glass is about an ounce, just don't fill it to the brim. A regular amount shot glass. That should be good enough for any mixes that you're making

Hope it helped

Cheers dude. :)

gabcd86 wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 9:55pm

Hey Jon, I know you're into bartending and stuff, I had two questions:
a) How do you make whisky sours? I had one in a bar the other night, and loved it, but recipes seem either simpler than what he did, or fucking insane. SO what's your choice?
b) You know when recipes say "1oz of vodka" or whatever, how do I measure that? When pouring drinks I tend to measure with a shot glass, so I can keep track of how much alcohol I'm actually drinking, but it's always in weight on the recipe. :sad:

:cheers:

spike_8bkp wrote on Dec 30th, 2011 11:38pm

Dreadnought wrote on Dec 23rd, 2011 at 11:58am :
Travelling about for fun or work? Haha, thanks for the compliments on the guitar and the music. I really don't play as much as I'd like anymore, too busy... kinda sucks. Hope you're doing well too man, keep me informed!

travelling for fun and for life. went back to university so I could keep up the roadlife, ironicall.y but I'm not in the musicworld so much anymore, unless I happen across it in a subway station or talking to the live sound guy at a show somewhere. currently hopping around latin america. Been living in Costa Rica for a few months, but after new year's, I'm off again.

Don't put down that guitar, Jon!

NOTONFACEBOOK wrote on Dec 25th, 2011 3:27pm

Hoorah motherfucker.

girlgerms007 wrote on Dec 24th, 2011 4:32am

Your pov was interesting on the soul thread :)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 read next