Cathbard

Cathbard's Profile Comments

randomguy2000 wrote on Oct 26th, 2013 9:17pm

wow... a year since someone last posted a comment...

DanTheHobbit wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 7:22am

Ahoy. It has been a while, but I finally got home and put new tubes and a new speaker in my Blues Junior. It sounds terrific, and I have no interest in trading it in anymore. Thanks for the advice!

nido wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 5:41pm

Awesome lil amps your building sir!

rocknroll93 wrote on May 16th, 2012 2:21pm

where in melbourne? when I got some cash I may have to get a little tube amp off ya...

miriam4r wrote on May 12th, 2012 8:23pm

Hello Dear,
My name is Miriam Konta i come across your profile here in this site and i became interested in you and i will like you to write me through my private email id at (miriamkonta@yahoo.com ) so that i can tell you more about myself and send to you my pictures.
Yours Miriam.

iampeter wrote on Aug 19th, 2011 12:38am

Cathbard wrote on Aug 18th, 2011 at 7:57am :
I just ignored it and eventually it became a reflex. I ended up tuning out everything at that frequency. A neighbor had an alarm the sounded at the same frequency and I wouldn't hear it even though it was driving everybody else insane.

thanks, that is some Zen like control. ill keep the concept in mind. thanks!

iampeter wrote on Aug 18th, 2011 5:48pm

you mentioned your brain tuned out tinnitus on a recent post, did you do anything to get that to happen? my tinnitus occurs in quiet areas and i dont think i got it through hearing dmg.

thanks

kutless999 wrote on Aug 5th, 2011 2:58pm

Cathbard wrote on Aug 5th, 2011 at 4:34am :
I've never pulled one apart, sorry. I'm sure there'll be a trick to it, like another screw that has to come out or a clip of some sort.

Oh, that's ok. Is there a way I can pry out the screws? I took all the buttons off the top of the amp and all that's left is the five screws on the back panel.

kutless999 wrote on Aug 5th, 2011 4:29am

Man, I wish you could fix my cube 15x. I can't get the plate open to get into the inside of it. There's five screws that won't come out of the plate. I tried a power drill and they turn, but they wont come out. The reason I have to open it up is because the power squeezer button fell into the amp. I really need to fix it. If you could help, that would be great.

AxSilentxLine wrote on Jul 29th, 2011 2:50am

Hey Cath I have a mate who is looking to pick up a 100W JCM900 SL-X and wants to mod it for EL34's or KT77's do you reckon you could do it?

WhineX wrote on May 29th, 2011 10:13pm

Cathbard wrote on Apr 24th, 2011 at 5:37pm :
No links sorry. I don't know how I can explain it in any more detail.
Basically, all cables act as a sort of filter. If you are used to using a particular cable then use that same cable between the wireless receiver and the amp. As long as it's not some cheap and nasty wireless link, if you use the same cable it will sound the same.

I think I get the idea. Thanks a lot.

Crazed Shredder wrote on May 17th, 2011 5:57pm

Cathbard wrote on May 17th, 2011 at 8:41am :
The GP-8 works with a Roland FC-100 foot controller. The GP-8/FC-100 is effectively the MIDI controller which controls the Quadraverb. It also switches the amp via two relay outputs.

Cool. Thanks for answering.

Crazed Shredder wrote on May 17th, 2011 5:29pm

Nice rig man. Do you use MIDI controller for the quadraverb and gp8?

WhineX wrote on Apr 24th, 2011 1:17pm

Hi. Just read your post about wireless vs. cable ( http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.ph p?t=1435237 ) and I was thinking if you could explain that some more? If you could supply with a link it would be highly appreciated.

I have been thinking about going wireless because of the stage-freedom that goes with it, but I have always been afraid of loosing my tone.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.

jacks2axe wrote on Apr 1st, 2011 3:29am

Cathbard wrote on Apr 1st, 2011 at 12:33pm :
I have quite a few Voshod 6N2P valves in my collection because I got them really really cheap.
To use them in an amp designed for 12AX7's you have to rewire the heater circuit. A 12AX7 has a 12V heater with a centre tap so you can feed each individual heater with 6V. The 6N2P is 6V across both of the heaters (effectively 3V across each one) with no access to the centre tap between the two heaters.
I wired a switch into my Champ clone )which is what I use as a testbed for valves) so it could take either. So how do they sound? Flat and uninspiring. NOS valves are normally far better than any modern valve with one exception - old Russian valves. The 6N2P has a tiny bit less gain than a 12AX7 but really that's the least of their problems. Quite frankly, they aren't worth the effort.
thanks for that, i will throw them in the bin :)

jacks2axe wrote on Apr 1st, 2011 12:24am

Hi there, sorry to bother you but do you know much about the 6n2p preamp tubes? I know they're cheap and that you need to rewire the socket a bit but are they worth the effort??

trashbeast wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 2:47pm

i'm interested, is it something I could do myself? I'm a pretty competent guitar tech, but i've never really touched an amp aside from tube swapping

trashbeast wrote on Mar 14th, 2011 1:39pm

Hi, how's it going? Thanks for the friend add! I saw a post of yours, and was curious about what modifications you've done with your JCM900, since I have one of those too and I've always wanted to make it sound a bit better!

denied wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 8:43pm

So I picked up the bassman, thanks for all the help! :)

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy155/Bkhawaja/ IMG_54972.jpg