BenRaah

BenRaah's Profile Comments

GezzyDiversion wrote on Jan 10th, 2014 5:34pm

fuckin' 08'ers, cant stand them

NeutralFan wrote on Apr 20th, 2013 11:03pm

Hey, did you know that your description of Amplifier reached their Wikipedia page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier_%28band%29# cite_note-1

NeutralFan wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 10:44pm

BenRaah wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 7:03pm :
Sounds cool, though the existence of a special edition is news to me. How are you enjoying Music For Nurses btw?

Yeah, I googled around and there it was. Even including international postage it's only a couple of quid more epensive than buying the standard version here, so I went for it.

Music for Nurses is utterly awesome in every possible respect. Drag the 'Nal/Dead Dogs an' All Sorts/As the Smoke Clears is just unbelievably epic, and the whole thing really gels together into a hell of a package. Definitely competing with Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada for the glory of being my favourite EP.

NeutralFan wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 6:26pm

Just bought Somewhere Along the Highway on your recommendation. I decided to get the limited edition for some insane reason though and I couldn't find it in this country, so it's coming from some guy in the States. Something to look forward to when it comes, I guess.

NeutralFan wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 10:02pm

BenRaah wrote on Feb 9th, 2013 at 9:15pm :
Awesome! I stand corrected. How much did it set you back?
So, Music for Nurses arrived in the post today in, I'm glad to say, perfectly acceptable condition. It isn't mint, but considering the price of it mint I'm happy. The case is in pretty decent nick and it plays perfectly. Today is a happy day...

NeutralFan wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 4:08pm

BenRaah wrote on Feb 9th, 2013 at 9:15pm :
Awesome! I stand corrected. How much did it set you back?

8. Hence my scepticism. I'm hoping it's a good quality CD someone has simply put up without realising its true value but hey, if it arrives in shards, then at least I haven't wasted 40.

NeutralFan wrote on Feb 7th, 2013 11:38pm

Guess what? I just bought a copy of that special EP off Amazon. 'Used - Very Good' - here's hoping that works out...

NeutralFan wrote on Feb 7th, 2013 11:22pm

BenRaah wrote on Feb 5th, 2013 at 11:07pm :
Music for Nurses is totally awesome, maybe even my favourite Oceansize release. I'd recommend looking for a download though as the chances of you finding a physical copy are pretty slim, and it's way too essential to miss out on! I was lucky enough to find one on ebay pretty cheap a few years ago but I wouldn't count on it now.

Whoops, sorry. I quoted you instead of answering you. Here's what I posted -

Nah, I'm determined to get a physical copy. Call it OCD, but I'm going to have the full Oceansize discography if it kills me. Anyway, I could buy one right now if I had 40. I just don't, lol.

I'm scouring Discogs and eBay though - the minute something at a sane price comes up, it's mine.

NeutralFan wrote on Feb 5th, 2013 5:43pm

That's interesting. Yeah, living here definitely works for me but it probably isn't for everyone.

Cheers, I'll look into that album.

Just bought Home and Minor by Oceansize, by the way. Now I've just got to get the Music for Nurses EP. That'll be a fun one to track down at a sane price...

I've always been a big fan of Biffy so I was always going to buy the album. I agree with the production - they really need to get another producer next time. The over-production on all their latest records is great for the top 40 but sucks a lot of the emotion out of the music.

Personally, I'd say the album is definitely solid though. Not sure if I'd recommend it to an avant-garde connoisseur like yourself, but it's a nice poppy palate-cleanser between rounds of Vertikal. A couple of great tracks too - Modern Magic Formula, Spanish Radio, Sounds Like Balloons and Trumpet or Trap are worth checking out. The latter in particular is one of my favourites - somehow seems quite Oceansizey to me, in a way.

NeutralFan wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 4:53pm

BenRaah wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 2:46pm :
You live in Orkney? Man I bet it's beautiful up there. I often think it'd be great to live somewhere more remote, but I'm sure it has its downfalls.

How are you enjoying the new Cult of Luna? I've only given it a few listens so far but it has a pretty different vibe to most of their other stuff.

Living here is awesome as far as I'm concerned, though being in such a remote place definitely has its downfalls. IMO, the freedom and privacy, combined with the strong sense of culture and community far outweigh those, though. People don't even bother locking their doors up here, lol.

I haven't listened to their other stuff so I can't really compare them. On the strength of this record though, I'll definitely be checking out their other records. I like the way the vague industrial theme permeates the record, and the way that it crams its soft and heavy elements together so naturally.

I've seen you post in the Biffy thread. Have you heard the new album?

NeutralFan wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 7:14pm

BenRaah wrote on Nov 17th, 2012 at 4:16pm :
Well I just realised I never replied to this. I think maybe that old Oceansize thread needs resurrecting, although I do lurk the muse thread from time to time.

My British Theatre LP arrived this week, but it's in Swindon and I'm in Hertfordshire so I can't have it until I go home for christmas. That feel man, that feel.

Wow, sorry I never replied to this. Seriously, I never check this thing.

Yeah, I had a cock-up with my order too actually. Was fine when they realised that Orkney isn't actually off Australia, but it meant I got it a week late. =(

I'd certainly post regularly in a revived Oceansize thread, but it seems a bit pointless to bring it back now. On the other hand, it might be as good an idea as any.

adamgur96 wrote on Oct 13th, 2012 4:54pm

BenRaah wrote on Oct 13th, 2012 at 6:52pm :
Just checking out your avant garde fetish

Check away. But be gentle.

adamgur96 wrote on Oct 13th, 2012 4:46pm

Hey lurker

NeutralFan wrote on Oct 7th, 2012 9:45pm

BenRaah wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 10:09am :
I've seen you post about Oceansize and Amplifier. +1000 cool points from me sir, more people on here need to appreciate those bands.

Also, I approve of the bands in your 'favourite bands' section. All hail prog.

NeutralFan wrote on Oct 7th, 2012 9:43pm

BenRaah wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 10:09am :

I never use my profile stuff. I quoted you instead of answered you. I think I want to answer you. So I'll paste the message I posted -

Thanks. Sorry, I never check up this page. 1000 cool points to you to, good sir - 'tis spiffingly agreeable to stand on common ground with a fellow man of good taste.

Also, you may want to spend more time in the Muse thread. Several Oceansize fans in there.

Banjocal wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 8:07am

BenRaah wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 at 2:07pm :
Haha you fool! Ah well. Was a great gig, where were you sat?
Uhh... the middle section just next to the right aisle, about 6 rows from the stage.

I had a huge green messenger bag :p Idk if that was you haha.

Banjocal wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 12:11pm

BenRaah wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 at 12:05pm :
Earth was amazing last night, you totally missed out
I went! Damn, I should've let you know :( its been ages since I've been on UG and I forgot.

karla earon wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 2:04pm

I invite you to visit my site and become an observer with us http://toptitleweb.com/vb

Banjocal wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 11:28pm

BenRaah wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 2:51pm :
For sure! I've met a few UGers before, it's always fun
I shall keep ye posted.

Banjocal wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 1:23pm

BenRaah wrote on Jan 28th, 2012 at 5:07pm :
At the Union Chapel 11th March. I don't know if you've ever been there before but it's an incredible place, with a strict decibel limit so it'll be pretty nice and quiet and chilled out, mostly stuff from the last few albums I'd imagine. http://www.atpfestival.com/events/earthunionchapel .php BE THERE
If I go, wanna meet? :p